Any recommendations for L.A. lighting companies?

Hi, everyone. I'm not sure how to make it happen but one of the career paths I'm interested is in is becoming a lighting programmer. I know the LD usually picks the programmer and it's a job that requires creativity and technical skill. Any advice on how to make it happen?

I was thinking of researching lighting design/production firms and trying to apprentice under them to gain a better understanding of design and get some board time. Does anyone have recommendations or alternative suggestions? The only lighting design knowledge I have is from reading shelley and pilbrow's books and my only board time is from taking the Ion course at ETC Hollywood (they were great!) and the GrandMA2 intro at A.C.T. Lighting plus practicing using the manual's tutorial and a 3D visualizer. And I've read schiller automated lighting programmer's handbook (Haha I feel so horribly under-qualified to even think about ever getting to programming)

Also does anyone have any recommendations for companies in L.A. for a regular light tech work? (I'm job hunting) I'd like to experience and learn more on the job so I can eventually have a job that's more mentally challenging than reading truss tips. I started as a freelancer with ELS which is now owned by 4Wall but I don't see myself getting much more out of this job when half of the my calls are premiere work that involves moving fencing and poster boards. It's not that I dislike physical work, I'd just like to be sure that I'd be touching a light or cable on a call.

Thank you for any input.

Check out Felix, I normally use them when I have to pull from the west coast.

I've quite enjoyed working with VER so if they'd take you I'd purse that route.

It probably won't get you behind a console but look into the IATSE locals in your area and see what it takes to join as an apprentice. It's likely to be a lot more box pushing and a lot less programming but its a pathway that opens many doors.

Also if you have any interest in touring often the board op on a touring show acts as the LD and/or programmer. Depending on the company, that can be jumping head first into the deep end, but I've seen several good programmers come from that kind of experience. From the bit you've mentioned of your experience I might not expect you to get hired directly as a board op, but depending on the needs of the show, you could probably get hired as an electrician. Then once you're there you could express an interest in running the console and see how far that takes you. Just some thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back