Any Suggestions regarding body/lav. mics?

We don't have any new microphones for body mics and a couple of them are cracking over the system. There are a couple spots in the cable that cause it to crackle. Are there any suggestions on how to fix this within one night.
will a cheap pen casing over the cable. also will gaft tape work over the connection to the body mic itself. others yet will only repond to touch and a tapping sound, but talking does nothing.
besides getting new mics, what else could work?

Thanks in advance!

Well, in terms of small elements like that, there's not much you can do. Is the cable bad at the plug? If it's a TA4F mini XLR (found on Shure bodypacks), they can be re-soldered with a needle point soldering iron, thin solder, and a magnifying glass. It's not impossible, but it's difficult. If you have Sennheisers, they'll most likely have 1/8" plugs. We have a bunch of those for our secondary system and they always go bad right at the strain relief. All we can do is send them back to Sennheiser (or trash them and get new ones) because they use a molded plug that can't be opened.

If the failure is further up in the cable, you're pretty much not going to be able to fix it reliably. If you must use them for a few more shows, I would get a very small piece of rigid wood or something and gaff tape it to the cable where the problem is so it won't bend at all. It may be uncomfortable for the actor, but it should keep the cable from moving and changing that intermittent contact.

However, I would replace them as soon as possible. In the professional world, bodypack mic elements are considered expendables. At college, we started using Countryman B6 elements, and we ordered I think five extras in anticipation of the failure of some of the new ones. We've gone through two already in our run of Urinetown.

We are using Senn. with the 1/8" plug
thanks for your help
i realize that the cable work and go bad often, but we don't have the budget to get new ones at this moment.

We are using Senn. with the 1/8" plug
thanks for your help
i realize that the cable work and go bad often, but we don't have the budget to get new ones at this moment.

If the cable goes out from being ran all over and treated poorly there really is not any graceful fix. Its usually a good idea to keep a few spare mics sitting around. You can pick up an SM93 for under a hundred bux pinned for sennheiser gear.

is there any cheaper options? or do they all run around $100?
or, can we send the mics back to Sennhiser and get them fixed?

shure for your body mics, ebay for cables

The WL93's can be had for around $60 apiece (T4AF connector). I'm not sure if they're available for the same price with other terminations. Call around to Full Compass, Sweetwater, NSL, and also give your local shops a try too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back