Anybody wonder why Source 4?

LDSFX

Maybe I'm really lame for actually thinking about this, but does anyone know why a Source 4 is named such? There is no combination of 4 anywhere on the instrument (except for the shutters but those arent really revolutionary) or is it because when the unit first came out there were only 4 lens options (barrels)?

No idea – but the lens option would seem a logical explanation. However, it is probably something obscure and completely unrelated!

...sounds cool

The ETC Source Four fixture uses a lamp that has <4> compact filaments within the globe. The design of the lamp is as important as the dichroic coated glass reflector, which allows IR heat to escape through the rear of the fixture, as opposed to being reflected out the gate- limiting the life of gobos and gel.

Pretty REVOLUTIONary if I say so myself...

Is that why they named their ML the revolution?
IMO thats a bit big headed... but when your marketing a product anything goes! and i really would not complain if i had acess to the Revolution, by any name a rose would smell as sweet......

Very impressive Kelite. I have always seen that IR glow on the walls of my box booms but never made the connection. Very interesting.

Source 4 because it was suposed to be the Fourth major source of lighting after the Sun, Fire and Electric light. It was an ego-booster and they kinda deserve it.

A bit like the Third Riche then? (lets see who knows their History)

LDSFX said:
Very impressive Kelite. I have always seen that IR glow on the walls of my box booms but never made the connection. Very interesting.

Yes, the Source Four was kind of a 'one - two punch' when these two innovations were released together. A rather unusual story was run in Lighting & Sound Intl Jan. 2005 by Sarah Rushton-Read regarding the development of the Source Four fixture and compact four filament lamp style.

Mayhem said:
A bit like the Third Riche then? (lets see who knows their History)

Now I'm curious, what were (should I say, what did they conceder) the first and second to be?

The word Reich means empire in German. I recall reading that Hitler viewed the Holy Roman Empire as being the first Reich. He was obsessed with Otto von Bismarck (who is actually credited as the founder of the German Empire) and the way in which he unified Germany in the 19th Century and felt that this was the Second Reich. To Hitler, his own vision for Germany was to become the Third Reich. Thus, he had a vision and then deemed it to be worthy of being (in his eyes) the next “Great Empire”.

Now I obviously in no way, shape or form wish for anyone to think that I view ETC as a tyrannical dictator with a single vision of world domination, I just that found Inaki2’s comments amusing and similar in thinking.

Fascinating, I never bothered to think why it was called Third Reich.

Though with the way the Source4 is everywhere, you could say that it 'united the world' under one common light.

I pleadge allegiance to to the Lights, of the Electronic Theater Control company, and to the show for which it light, one theater under god, with lighting and juices for all.

(if etc was a tyrannical dictator ship, perhaps we would say stuff like this...)

Hey, I resemble that remark!!! Or one would think I do.

While I run a sort of democratic oligarchy, one of the most FAQ's asked of me is also "how do I screw up sufficiently to get assigned to your area?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back