Anyone ever used Obey 40

Since I do not know how many channels of Leprecon dimming you have, I'll just guess and say 12. Consult the LED fixtures' instruction manuals as to how to set them to 4-channel mode. After that is done, you need to program the starting address into your first 4-channel LED fixture . That would be 13. Note you are programming the fixture, not the Express. Add 4 and program the starting address of your second fixture to 17. Continue until all fixtures are programmed. You only need to program the starting address; the fixture knows what the next 3 assignments are because you set them to 4-channel mode.
Since the Express is patched 1:1, you are done. If you bring up channels 13, 17, 21 etc., on the Express, you should have only red light. Only 14, 18, 22, etc you should have only green light.
There are better ways to do this, but this will get you operational. You can record all the red channels into a submaster, for example, and not deal with bringing up individual channels each time.
Then sit back and enjoy your LED's!
Thanks for the detailed instruction. This is of course if I was to daisy chain the LED's after the dimmers. Is there any danger in doing this as in a possible voltage fluctuation on an led that works its way back through the DMX to the dimmers. I know the LED's DMX is isolated from the dimmers but I have heard it could possibly be dangerous to un them in this fashion as compared to running a DMX from the 2nd univers on the Express console...any thoughts? And yes I do have 12 dimmers but only 6 lekos in use.

Using your own logic then "a possible voltage fluctuation on an LED" would work its way back thru the DMX and destroy the 2nd universe output on your Express console.
You could use an optically isolated DMX splitter to isolate things but I would really just not worry about it. Lightning could also strike your theatre and burn it to the ground, but again its really doubtful that will happen, but you could install lightning rods to lessen the possibility.

@Cineruss A few comments from a geezer.
If you route your console's first universe to your dimmers and then daisy chain your DMX out of your dimmers and on to your other accessories: Foggers, scrollers, LED's Wiggle lights, I-Mirrors, Irises, etcetera, the only major negative is all your eggs are in one basket. If your DMX line becomes unplugged or damaged by a castered dolly rolling over and cutting / severing / shorting a cable you'll lose control of all devices post the disconnection OR all devices pre and post in the case of a short.

I'm old and old school in my thinking:
If I need less then 512 (1 universe) in total, I set the console to transmit universe one out of both outputs then route output one to my dimmers and output two to any / all accessories; that way I can normally depend upon my dimmers and only worry about damage to / loss of operation any / all devices connected from output two.
I wouldn't get into a second universe until I needed more than 512 DMX addresses.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Using your own logic then "a possible voltage fluctuation on an LED" would work its way back thru the DMX and destroy the 2nd universe output on your Express console.
You could use an optically isolated DMX splitter to isolate things but I would really just not worry about it. Lightning could also strike your theatre and burn it to the ground, but again its really doubtful that will happen, but you could install lightning rods to lessen the possibility.
LOL so true just my murphys law kicking in

Just wanted to tell everyone the LED's are working like a charm on the Express board. I decided to run on the second universe because the dimmer pack is in an odd place and the cabling would be a nightmare. Just purchased a 5 to 3 pin DMX adapter, plugged it in to the 2nd universe and started my address at 513 and all is good. I did have to switch to 3 channel mode though because I want to add subgroups to all of these so I have RGB controls in my subs but looking good. Thanks again for everyones help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back