Anyone interested in 5-channel LED tape?

TuckerD

I am thinking about having some LED tape / strips custom made with RGB Cyan and Lime / Amber LEDs. I haven't decided on the exact final LED selection yet but it could be interesting to a few people looking for wall washes or some color critical application. The expanded gamut in the cyan region will be very nice. The minimum order qty I'm looking at is more than I need for my own projects, so I thought I'd see if anyone else is interested.

These will NOT be pixel strips. You will NOT be able to control a single pixel or a small cell of pixels. Just one static color per string. Will work with commercially available LED tape DMX drivers, but I will provide more specific details when other factors are finalized.

These will NOT be calibrated, but for a small fee I am willing to provide calibration data for your application.

Price will be more than normal RGB tape but not exorbitant. This is not a major money making proposition for me. As this is a custom order, custom product, etc... I can only pass along the warranty I get (which is backed by a reputable chinese MFR). It's a simple electrical circuit but you should have at least some comfortability with DIY projects.

- Tucker

Tucker, out of curiosity are you planning 12V or 24V?

Also " RGB Cyan and Lime / Amber " seems more like six channel unless the you are deciding between lime OR amber. That would certainly make sense if that's the case.

Please keep us posted and if/when this happens, share some photos of your expanded gamut of color!

The "/" is indicating "or." I haven't quite decided on the final color scheme yet. Need to look at some LED specs and do some math to get the choice right. I'm thinking 24V, that seems to be the preference of the MFR I'm currently planning on working with.

I'll be sure to share a project update if this happens!

It wouldn't be the first time I've specified some new LEDs ;)

I do have a few companies in mind that I've started this conversation with but it's going slowly as I have gotten bogged down in other work and for the particular project that was interested in this we decided to go in a different direction. I am personally still interested but it will take some time.

I was just about to ask the underlying question here, but I'll do it here instead:

Did anything come of this project? Otherwise, is anyone selling LED tape with colors other than the LED_Spectral primaries for R, G, and B? I know you can get WW and CW, but I'm leaning the same way Tucker is.

And yeah, for the architectural uses I have in mind, non-pixel is just fine also.

I developed an LED package that could be put onto LED tape but then did not pursue any farther. My time got sucked up by other businesses.

I was just about to ask the underlying question here, but I'll do it here instead:

Did anything come of this project? Otherwise, is anyone selling LED tape with colors other than the LED_Spectral primaries for R, G, and B? I know you can get WW and CW, but I'm leaning the same way Tucker is.

And yeah, for the architectural uses I have in mind, non-pixel is just fine also.
I JUST used some RGBA tape from Environmental Lights for a TED talk set. The color mixing was beautiful, substantially better than the RGBW tape we more commonly use from superbrightleds.

I'm just installing some RGB WW CW because I wanted extended pastel choices. Haven't finished the install yet so unsure of how well it works out.
Is there a better way to write is has both warm and cool white?

I JUST used some RGBA tape from Environmental Lights for a TED talk set. The color mixing was beautiful, substantially better than the RGBW tape we more commonly use from superbrightleds.
got a web link?

I'm just installing some RGB WW CW because I wanted extended pastel choices. Haven't finished the install yet so unsure of how well it works out.
Sure, I'm great at making up rules. :)

If you wrote RGBCW, I would assume you meant Cool White and Warm White respectively, with little ambiguity. RGBWC works less well, probably implying Cyan. To me at least.

I have seen it multiple ways.
RGBWWCW was what we had
RGBH27006500 when we changed the whites to 95+ CRI for the film folks
RGBTW, TW for Tunable White
RGBCW to shorten the CW and WW

Just purchased a cheap wireless controller to play around with, and this is how it denotes cool white and warm white for CCT tape.
B0BDCE33-D818-4784-A2B2-3AF67DF3A43A.jpeg
While I might think C would stand for cyan on a high end entertainment industry driver, any driver on Amazon that labels a terminal C is probably intending it to mean Cool White.

This would need to be paired with a regular RGB or RGBW or RGB+WW+CW strip in most applications, but I think it could be really cool to have a strip of THIS cool stuff alongside a standard strip of RGB+.

We bought some and messed with it in the office. Deep red is cool, it has a bit more pink in it and makes the "standard red" look very orange. Cyan didn't do much for us I was able to mix to the cyan very easily with standard RGB. Amber was amber. Indigo felt closer to a UV, not much output but it caused things to fluoresce.
Overall it was a neat tape but I would make some adjustments to the color selection. A violet would be nice, we get asked about making purple with LED tape a good amount and RGB can't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back