Anyone know the real name for "horse <rooster>" or "donkey <Richard>"?

MSwan

I would rather not use either of those names around clients that don't really know anything about power since they are not the most pleasant of names. Unfortunately those are the only names I know them by.
For those that haven't heard those names before they are used for a large cable with twist lock on it that has all three phases of power along with the neutral and ground. Hotels and convention centers sometimes use them for smaller draws that still need 5-wire service (like a small number of chain motors). I have seem a few that have Cams on the other end (which is what I would end up using all the time).

re: Anyone know the real name for "horse <rooster>" or "donkey <Richard>"?

I would rather not use either of those names around clients that don't really know anything about power since they are not the most pleasant of names. Unfortunately those are the only names I know them by.
For those that haven't heard those names before they are used for a large cable with twist lock on it that has all three phases of power along with the neutral and ground. Hotels and convention centers sometimes use them for smaller draws that still need 5-wire service (like a small number of chain motors). I have seem a few that have Cams on the other end (which is what I would end up using all the time).

Are you speaking about SOCO?

OP, I believe you mean feeder cable?

Talk about different terminology based on location. =O haha

Never heard the term, but 3-phase, 5-wire, twist lock could be something like a NEMA L21-30?

proxy.php

MSwan, that to which you are referring is likely best known as "eight five": #8 AWG, five conductor (8/5) SO cord with L21-30 connectors at each end (or 10/5 or 6/5).

The other phrases may also refer to 12-circuit, 12/37 multi-cable with Pyle-National Star-Line connectors. Even 12/18 Socapex is lightweight compared to this stuff.

Last edited:
A "horse cock" is described down here as any single jacketed large multicable. Wether it be a cable feeding a raceway or a smaller 8/4, 8/5 or so feeder cable. I once was asked by a preacher what is that cable called. I told him it is a feeder cable feeding the power from the service panel to the distribution panel. He then said to me I know y'all have nick names for everything what is the nick name for that. After I paused for a moment I told him with a straight face we call it a horse cock. He looked straight at me then down at the cable and said that's a good nickname and walked off.

I found the connector I was referring to, it is a California style non-NEMA connector CS6364C & CS6365C:
Google Chrome.png
Most of the time I see them with a set of cams on the other end going into a small motor distro in convention centers and hotels. I am supplying power for a product demo at Grand Central Terminal in a few days and all the venue has told the client is that they will supply "bare ends". Most likely that means cams, but I would like to be prepared for whatever 'bare ends" actually means (really hoping they don't literally mean bare ends as that would be super un-safe).
@xander, I learned the term in NC over 10 years ago, never used them in NYC.
@bishopthomas, I totally forgot about that style, guess I should rent one of those adapters as well...

You sure? California connectors are single phase only and are 50A connectors. All of our distros have a California input and/or output on them. Most large (trailer style) generators I've worked with have these. I rarely see them in hotels but have seen one or two in catering halls, more than likely installed or suggested by the "regular" production company. "Bare ends" is exactly that, tails with stripped insulation. You would typically tie these into lugs on a disconnect panel (with a cutoff switch) or into a breaker and bus bars in a standard electrical panel (usually not the first option).

Honestly, these questions are a little scary coming from someone who will potentially be doing this in a few days. You really need to have a qualified person do the tie in. I would think that Grand Central would have electricians on staff that can take care of this for you, or even not allow you to do it yourself. Many places I work will not allow it, even though we are all qualified to tie in, especially one of us who has years of experience as a union electrician.

Good luck and have fun in Grand Central Station! Take some pictures to share.

You mis-understand the situation.
Grand Central Terminal is supplying power in the form of "bare ends" dropped near the setup location. If they are dropping actual bare ends on the ground outside where people could touch them that is _unsafe_. They should be dropping a connector of some sort as I have never in the over 20 years I have worked in entertainment seem a single piece of portable equipment that just had some lugs that you stick bare wire into to supply power _to_ the device, I almost always use bare ends to connect to a _permanently_ mounted disconnect panel (most often a bull, or company, switch). I also can't imagine anyone crazy enough to leave bare wire laying around on the ground, all it takes is one moron to turn the power on and one to brush the end of the cable for bad things to happen (if the sparks don't start flying the second moron 1 turns on the power).
Since the venue is being so vague about the power connection they are going to supply I have been trying to think of all the possible connection types that make sense so that I can rent the right adapters to ensure our 12x20A distro can be connected without killing anyone. (For the record they are only using 8 of the circuits and if the venue is only supplying 50A/ leg they will have to cut two circuits if they are actually going to be fully maxed out).
The only question I had was what the proper name was for a style of connector/cable that I haven't touch in over 15 years and only ever heard referred to by it's nickname while working convention calls. I am more than qualified to tie in this kind of power.
@bishopthomas according to Lex products California connectors are multi-phase PowerPARTS™ Wiring Devices: 50A 125/250VAC CS-Series Locking Receptacle | Lex Products

I don't see where it says "multi-phase." Whether it does or not, they are not 3 phase. There's a ground, a neutral, and two hots. Single phase. I promise. As for the venue dropping hot bare wire tails on the ground, I seriously doubt it. I think you need to make some phone calls to find out what is actually going on there. How can you possibly rent every single electrical adapter to be prepared for this "mysterious" connector? Find out what it is and take what you need.

I don't see where it says "multi-phase." Whether it does or not, they are not 3 phase. There's a ground, a neutral, and two hots. Single phase. I promise.
Maybe you missed the part that says "3P4W 50A 125/250VAC "Cal Style" Female Locking Receptacle" 3P4W means 3 phase 4 wire. some of the other ones have a metal collar around the outside that acts as the ground connection.
Also, "two hots" equals 2 phases, those two phases may be working together to supply 208V but there are still two phases of power there.
As far as the venue, we have called they don't respond.

Maybe you missed the part that says "3P4W 50A 125/250VAC "Cal Style" Female Locking Receptacle" 3P4W means 3 phase 4 wire. some of the other ones have a metal collar around the outside that acts as the ground connection.
Also, "two hots" equals 2 phases, those two phases may be working together to supply 208V but there are still two phases of power there.
I believe "3P4W" refers to three pins, four wires. Regardless, single phase as referred to by bishopthomas, is two hots 180 degrees out of phase, giving you a phase to phase potential of 240V (assuming your hot to neutral is 120V), not 208V...

-Tim

I'm done banging my head on your brick wall. Good luck with the gig...

Girls, you're all pretty! From http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/question-day/23409-california-plug.html :
The "California plug" is available either as
50A 125/250V (XYWG) single phase or more specifically split-phase, as would be used on a general purpose distro
or
50A 3Ø 250V (XYZG) three-phase, for chain hoist power. Note the absence of a neutral conductor. Not appropriate for 120V loads!

... California connectors are single phase only and are 50A connectors. ...
...3P4W means 3 phase 4 wire. ...
Both plugs above are 3P(ole)4W(wire). The neutral (if present) always counts as a pole, the ground never counts as a pole but always counts as a wire.

-----
MSwan, if the venue says they will supply power as "bare end," I would take that to mean they will accept bare end, as into the lugs on a disconnect, or (if under 100A) they will put their male plug on your cable for the duration of the event.

Last edited:
I agree with derekleffew, in that they want bare-end from you. I worked a hotel across from the Grand Central, and thats what I gave them(I know different building)

As a side note, a company I used to work for used those 50A twist(Cali plug) to power the motor controls (3 phase), we used Skjonberg controllers, I liked them alot

Sean...

FWIW I've never hear of 50A being called by any name other than "50 amp" or in the 3 phase case just "Motor power". And i deal with these two almost daily. If you where talking to me about the nick name in question I would think of 2 gauge, 5 wire, SOOW that we use for 100A 3Phase power distribution with a Hubbell HBL5100P9W on the end of it.

To be totally honest I have come to think that "horse c***" has just become a term for the biggest cable that you have and/or will use. Whether it happens to be 8 gauge, 4 wire or if you've found some crazy /0 gauge SOOW cable in my experiance it just means the biggest. That's also one of several reasons why even though I run hundreds of feet of 2 gauge, 5 wire every week I rarely ever call it by any name other than 100Amp or "The one with the big blue connector."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back