Anyone know the real name for "horse <rooster>" or "donkey <Richard>"?

Finally talked to the venue and they are in fact literally dropping 60A 3phase, 5 wire bare copper ends for me to attach to my distro... pretty sure I've seen it all now.

...As a side note, a company I used to work for used those 50A twist(Cali plug) to power the motor controls (3 phase), we used Skjonberg controllers, I liked them alot...

Lookit what was included in today's rigging package:
hoist_power.jpg

The pictured assembly (which BTW we didn't use, as we had a distro providing multiple 50A females) using a California female, 6/4 SO cord, and E1016-style Cam-Lok s is NOT code-compliant for at least two reasons. What might those be?

The single insulation is so pretty.

Oh I know I know... It didn't come supplied with it's own fire extinguisher. That's gotta be it.:twisted:

The inner conductors of SOOW are not intended to be exposed in that manner.

Here and actually with many electricians, "Horse cock" or "donkey cock" is usually a term used to refer to a Kellems Grip. Hell I know electricians who if you say "kellems grip" they have NO IDEA what you are talking about.
I've certainly never heard it as a reference to feeder cable itself, but I can certainly see the nickname being transferred in your area. Or even just someone there coming up with calling your feeder that once, and it sticking.

Interesting.

Can you expound some?

Kudos; I hadn't thought of that one.:oops: NEC 520.69(A) Adapters: No reduction in current rating. Okay, three reasons.:)

Well it looks as if the jacket is just cut off, the internal conductors fanned out and attached to cams. However, I was under the impression that the insulation on those is more to keep the conductors seperate in the cable, I would assume the jacket on those is not the same as the jacket on the cable. I remember this because the electrical inspector made us throw out some 3 channel mults we had in my old place of employment becuase they broke into individual conductors, then into a connector, instead of a proper breakout section and into SOOJW or something similar for tails.

Correct, shiben and gafftapegreenia. The third reason I'm thinking of is a little more obscure, but is related, sort of, to zmb's answer.

Is that your final answer?

Lookit what was included in today's rigging package:
View attachment 4900

The pictured assembly (which BTW we didn't use, as we had a distro providing multiple 50A females) using a California female, 6/4 SO cord, and E1016-style Cam-Lok s is NOT code-compliant for at least two reasons. What might those be?

The sad part is I've seen these adapters on DOZENS of shows, including both of the Broadway tours that I have worked on in my area and several rental houses. They are very common...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back