Anything at comparable price point that rivals ETC ColorSource PAR?

dreamist

Hey friends..

I've poked around a bit and I don't see alot new in the static wash LED land, but figured I'd poke my head up and ask.. last time I demo'd units, I landed on the ETC ColorSource PAR for my use case.. it's more than a year since then -- anything new in the landscape at a comparable price point?

Primary use case is theatrical back/top light, short throw (my grid is at around 14.5ft). I've been using cheap china movers for this purpose for a few years now, and I'm ready to bite the bullet for something with a real dimming curve. The quote I just got back for CS PARs puts them in the $700 territory once I buy a Med and Wide round lens and a C Clamp.

Things I like about the CS PAR:
- light, and can be had with RJ45 connections
- great dimming curve
- powerful "enough" for the throw to provide back/top light for plays when mixed with 575w conventionals (S4 Jr Zoom is my workhorse instrument)

Things I don't like about the CS PAR:
- all the lens options needed to have zoom options
- definitely not the punchiest in terms of intensity
- while the light source is homogenized, it's still got the LED look of having a few fairly bright emitters.. so what I call partially homogenized..

I'm looking at buying a relatively modest crop of 10 of them.. any instruments I should definitely look at before taking the plunge? The only new-er instruments that I've seen that look interesting are the Colorado 3 Solo and the Ovation F-915FC -- but those are both quite a bit more in terms of price point (I think $1200 to $1700?), and the Ovation looks quite a bit larger/heavier..

So.. any fixtures I've overlooked at similar price point to the CS Par that I should know of?

Thanks!

Joe

IN addition to the great dimming curve - one thing the units have is a Lime emitter. IMHO use of a Lime color is the mix really does make things work better.

The only unit in the under $1000 range that I am aware of that has the Lime emitter and a good curve is the ETC unit. You might want to talk to Chauvet and see if they have something coming out. Chauvet's dimming curves are also very good, and the ovation line has a lime emitter. Unfortunately the only Chauvet wash light I am aware of is a fresnel type unit which is somewhere around $1500.

I just went through this with one of my suppliers and ended up getting the CS PARs, best bang for the buck I found.

It is really hard to make an argument against the CS par as long as it does what you're looking for. Since you're wanting a single source option, and a zoom option, I'd take a look at Elation's Fuze line of pars. They are a little more expensive than the Colorsources, but they hit the other points that you are looking for. No lime emitter, so you'll have to be a lot more careful to make your whites look right. There are 3 different output versions.

https://www.elationlighting.com/fuze-par-z120-ip

So, the ideal fixture would have homogenized beam, zoom (manual or motorized) and RG2B+L and great dimming? That should be do-able. Oh and has a stock size color frame holder for additional beam shaping.

I have considered these to replace the shell ceiling PARs. I'm looking at 54 units to replace the whole system. Haven't seen anything comparable in that range and hoping I can get a bit of a volume discount...

I have considered these to replace the shell ceiling PARs. I'm looking at 54 units to replace the whole system. Haven't seen anything comparable in that range and hoping I can get a bit of a volume discount...
FWIW I have gone to the S4WRD PAR for shell down lights. I think its a better and more flattering white than the CS PAR, arguably better dimming at low end, and a lot more light (like X4). Though if the CS PAR is bright enough and you want the color, not a bad choice. If you want to see a shell with CS PAR, I have one in Wisconsin. Contact me off list. They reported they were happy with it.

FWIW I have gone to the S4WRD PAR for shell down lights. I think its a better and more flattering white than the CS PAR, arguably better dimming at low end, and a lot more light (like X4). Though if the CS PAR is bright enough and you want the color, not a bad choice. If you want to see a shell with CS PAR, I have one in Wisconsin. Contact me off list. They reported they were happy with it.
I am aways off before an upgrade, but getting all my ducks in a row first.
Light output is probably more of a factor than having color. I've gone 15 years with N/C in shell, I can supplement with other fixtures for color. I can even convert the FOH shell fixtures to S4wrd too, then we are talking 64 S4wrd bases. Then I have to decide to line dim off my Sensor classic racks or DMX dim. Have to have Unison completely updated to get them to play nice again. (my system is in cahoots with itself right now... no touch screens... another story all together)
Besides, all the pars in the ceilings don't have a yoke, so if I replaced the whole fixture, I'd have to source some to make them usable again.

Thanks

I recommend the DMX dimming option. Daisy chain RJ45 patchcords - inexpensive and easy. Might be worth looking at wireless to make it easier - a transmitter and one receiver per shell section.

Can you use the freed up dimmers?

I recommend the DMX dimming option. Daisy chain RJ45 patchcords - inexpensive and easy. Might be worth looking at wireless to make it easier - a transmitter and one receiver per shell section.

Can you use the freed up dimmers?
I can easily get DMX drops from the grid to each ceiling, thats how I get it to each elex right now.
Do I need the dimmers freed up? In the grand scheme of my plan, no not really. I have 4 sensor racks that are almost full- includes stage, shell and house dimmers.

The 4wrds have a lot better performance with DMX dimming. They have a noticeable pop on and off at low levels with mains dimming. It isn't terrible, but you'll see it. It is important to note that pars can't be retrofit into 4wrds. It does require a new body.

We’re using Chauvet Colorado Solo’s for our wash lights. They have a motorized zoom and a very nice homogenized beam. I’ve been able to creat some very nice smooth washes with them. The only downside is that they are. RGBW, so are lacking an amber or lime emitter.

Maybe worth considering is the Elation Sixpar series. I used some at a gig recently and was really surprised and would spec them again.
RGBAW+UV and variable dimming curves. Really nice colours and v.important to me, good whites.
Does not zoom though. But probably the best static LED unit I have used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back