Apex Microphones

Alright, so plugging in JBL km 220 (i think thats what they) wireless lavs, apex180 condensor mics, pvm 22 diamond series and sennheiser me40 into the sound board, all using xlr, with phantom power ON, won't damage anything?

Our TD was under the impression that putting phantom power on to mics that don't need them will fry them, more specifically the pvm 22's, those are our vocal jazz mics and if anything happens to them we are dead.

i was told that they wont, atleast it wont hurt shure beta 58a and most other mics. in our sound board instruction video the installer said that it wont.

Our TD is the only one besides me who knows about sound, so its pretty much my word against his. I sometimes have a hard time convincing him that some of the things I suggest will not harm any equipment. I just told him about inline phantom powers and he had no idea what they were. And this guy is a sound major and the choral director at our school. Its amazing what I've found that he doesn't know about.

falcon said:
Our theatre just bought an Apex SP1 microphone set. It includes 2 Apex180 pencil mics and one Apex345 mic. Does anyone know if these need phantom power to run at all?

Falcon. I was wondering how you are finding your Apex microphones as I am looking at buying the same microphone set. Are you changing the pattern on the pencil mikes much? Do you have any tips about their use/ quality.
Thanks
Cutlunch

Honestly, I haven't been using them enough to make a concrete opinion about them. But with working with them for our musical as area mics, they were wonderful, they worked soo much better then our sennheisser area mics. The Apex mics are designed for recording and I think they do a pretty good job at it to. You will find that you have to find the right pattern for the distance you are using them at. We have set them up as hanging mics above the seats for recording and from the test record I did, without any effort to adjust to the proper levels, eqs, and gain. it turned out pretty good, so using them properly they are good mics. They aren't travelling mics though, they are very delicate, so they are pretty much a hang and leave them type mic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back