Apex Microphones

I don't know about those mics in particular, but you should be able to find out pretty easily. Chances are that the literature that comes with the mics should tell you. If not, as a general rule of thumb, dynamic mics do not require phantom power, while condenser mics do.

Here's probably the easist thing to do. First check the manual to make sure that phantom power is not going to damage the mic (they will almost certainly let you know this very clearly if it will). Then plug in the microphone and bring up the channel. If it doesn't work, give it phantom power and try again.

I should have mentions that we looked at the manual and I checked the information online from the manufacter and I couldn't find any information about phantom power. The words didn't even come up on any page that had info about the mics.

so if they do need phantom power, can I use PVM™ 22 Diamond Series™ Microphones with phantom power? also we have wireless headset mics (hope that makes sence to you guys, I can try to clarify the best I can with the limited information I have about them) that we have to run, i'm not sure the brand of them since we are scrapping ours and borrowing from another school, but can they generally run with phantom power on?

Usually wireless mics will go through a reciever which will output the signal to a 1/4" cable into your board or whatever, and phantom power will never go to a 1/4" cable. Even in the "nutric" inputs with a 1/4" inch input inside an XLR input if you turn phantom power on to the chanel and have a 1/4" plug in it, the phantom power will not go to the 1/4" cable (only to the XLR)

I would start out by pugging it in without phantom power and seeing how good the signal you get into the board is. Everyone should feel free to correct me, but I dont think pluging in a mic that needs phantom power into a plug without phantom power will do much harm, the worst i can see it doing is not working while the phanom power is off. If it doesnt work without phantom power, I would take that as a decent sign that it nees phantom power.

I am not sure about those PVM mics, but a quick look on google might answer that (in the manual) I would look for you, but it's getting late here and I need to catch a few winks of sleep!

Falcon. The Apex mikes you have got need phantom power. The PVM mike won't be worried about phantom power so long as you are using balanced microphone leads. With the wireless mikes so long as you don't take an unbalanced output from wireless receiver into the balanced XLR input on the mixing desk there won't be a problem. As you mentioned the receivers have an XLR output so I take it you just use an XLR - XLR balanced lead so no problem.

That's the theory, just check the output on the wireless receiver is balanced. It may be marked on the receiver or it should be in the manual.

all of our equipment is outputed through xlr except for our monitors and speakers. I have never seen a mic that using 1/4" at all. Come to think of it, I don't even think we have any extra 1/4" cables lying around that isn't connecting out speakers or monitors.

I stand enlightend! Actually, I think our wireless mics must have had their own preamp type thing in them so they ouputed a line level 1/4" inch signal. the more I think about it... I am not sure what our new wireless mic system has... (new building new equipement.... lots of cables in the back of the rack.... another thing for me to check on monday if i remmber)

And yes, I have a microphone sitting here next to me... a "Realistic Highball 2" that my grandfather used to use to tune violins with, and which I recieved when he passed away... that has a 1/4" plug comming out the end of the built in 6 ft cable. Ya, it's cheap, but it was free, and it picks up a decent mix of everything if i put it on top of my equpment (it's an omini) to provide a reference track if I have an open recording channel.

When you talk about 1/4" inch plugs on microphones the main thing to remember is the difference between balanced and unbalanced. If the 1/4" is mono ie has only one band seperating the tip from the sleeve, this is unbalanced and should not be plugged into a phantom supply. If the mike has a 1/4 " jack like on your stereo headphones this will probably be balanced and can plug into phantom power.

i was taught that phantom power can be on and it wont hurt any mic. i found out make sure you either turn the channel off or down beofre turn phantom power on. i knew all or wireless mics have xlr and 1/4 outputs. our sound guy was told that our new sennihoser(i cant spell sorry) wireless mics only had 1/4 but they also have xlr. we use 1/4 main for running line out of amps our cd players and moniters but never mics.

Peter. The simplest way to check is with a multimeter. Insert a stereo 1/4 " plug into the socket, use a new one with no cable attached and the cover off. Then turn on the Phantom Power. Measure the DC voltages between the ground connector and the tip , ring connectors. If you have Phantom Power , this voltage should read , at least 10V and as much as 48V. Also look at your mixer manual there should be info in there. If you do getting a voltage reading greater then say 5V then don't use that microphone, as you will damage it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back