Apollo EZ Iris clicking

8BitSteph

Hi all,
Ran into this interesting problem for the first time in years of using EZ Iris/I-cue combos.
I've got two EZ Irises, both of which are making a rhythmic clicking sound when between full open and full close (not the faster clicking that means it's jammed). I took a look into the louder unit and saw the gears pulsing as if the motor was trying to move the iris but it stayed at its set level.
These are running on their own data chain with a return to/from an Apollo Smart Power 400 PSU (threw in the return even though I've never needed to before, because it's a new space for me, but the previous ME hasn't ever had this problem either).
My theory is that there's something going on in the actual motor units and one unit is just further along than the other, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else I could have tried.
Thanks!

Is it operating like normal? Generally when stepper motors "chunk" / pulse they are their way out.

Is it operating like normal? Generally when stepper motors "chunk" / pulse they are their way out.

That's sort of what I'm afraid of, to be honest. It will go from closed to open and back but there are a couple moments where it hangs up for a split second.
Chunking/pulsing is a way more accurate description by the way, thanks. Tech week and not nearly enough coffee.

I'm sure they have a more technical name for it but I feel it fits.

Hi all,
Ran into this interesting problem for the first time in years of using EZ Iris/I-cue combos.
I've got two EZ Irises, both of which are making a rhythmic clicking sound when between full open and full close (not the faster clicking that means it's jammed). I took a look into the louder unit and saw the gears pulsing as if the motor was trying to move the iris but it stayed at its set level.
These are running on their own data chain with a return to/from an Apollo Smart Power 400 PSU (threw in the return even though I've never needed to before, because it's a new space for me, but the previous ME hasn't ever had this problem either).
My theory is that there's something going on in the actual motor units and one unit is just further along than the other, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything else I could have tried.
Thanks!
Welcome to the booth!

Sorry to hear you are having issues. Hopefully I can help. If you answer a few questions for me, I can better understand just what it is doing and help you out better. Does the hang up point seem to be the halfway point between full open and full closed? Do the units do this when cold or just after they have heated up? When the unit is not powered up, does the iris move freely?

If it would be easier, you can give me a call and we can talk it over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back