Apollo High Resolution STEEL Gobos!

Kelite

Senior Account Executive
Premium Member
Greetings everyone!
It's widely known that our old equipment for ablating steel and glass gobos had been destroyed in the December fire. This old equipment is currently being replaced with cutting edge medical lasers with crazy high resolution capabilities.

Here is an example of a custom metal B size being projected from an ETC Source Four Lustr Series 2 with 26* lens tube @ 14 feet.

What used to only be made in glass may now potentially be made in steel!

www.apollodesign.net

Attachments

• Gobo projected.png
    Gobo projected.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 367
Well, I had to look up ablating and found ablation which is mostly a medical term. That makes sense since these are medical lasers. So anyway, does ablating just mean that the steel or glass is being vaporized to make the gobo?

Well, I had to look up ablating and found ablation which is mostly a medical term. That makes sense since these are medical lasers. So anyway, does ablating just mean that the steel or glass is being vaporized to make the gobo?
Yes, in the smaller cut out portions the stainless steel is vaporized. In the larger sections we catch the bits and pieces in a tray and return them to the steel recycler. (Not only is this a green approach compared to acid etching, but pays for our summer picnic each year!)

Apollo standard ME-3410 Mary is another pretty intricate pattern from the Apollo collection. This example was made this afternoon in an MR size for an ETC Source Four Jr. using the HPL 575W lamp.

:)

Attachments

• Mary 1.jpg
    Mary 1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 286
  • Mary 2.jpg
    Mary 2.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 293
Y’all are having way to much fun 😂😂😂. Congrats on finding new solutions in a time where money is going to be looked at more than ever.

Y’all are having way to much fun 😂😂😂. Congrats on finding new solutions in a time where money is going to be looked at more than ever.
Yes, exactly. With every theatrical and live event dollar under intense scrutiny, we want to allow the designers and planners to include beautiful imagery at an affordable cost.

And yes, this really IS fun!!!

XD

What's the lifespan on something that intricate? I would wager it'd burn up faster than something with less resolution? It looks amazing btw!

Have you tried doing any halftoning for grayscale stuff? Is that even a possibility with the technology?
Great question, Drew.
Theoretically it's possible, as the holes we ablate can be microscopic in size. The drawback, I believe, is the possible extensive run time on the laser.
Acid etching takes the exact same length of time regardless of the artwork and gobo size, as the plate of steel is simply washed with acid at a set duration. The resolution isn't that great but the run time is very good. Achieving high resolution could, depending upon the artwork and size, take significant laser time.
Keeping steel standard pattern costs down is a goal, as mentioned earlier- cost of goods these days is more highly scrutinized.

Great question, Drew.
Theoretically it's possible, as the holes we ablate can be microscopic in size. The drawback, I believe, is the possible extensive run time on the laser.
Acid etching takes the exact same length of time regardless of the artwork and gobo size, as the plate of steel is simply washed with acid at a set duration. The resolution isn't that great but the run time is very good. Achieving high resolution could, depending upon the artwork and size, take significant laser time.
Keeping steel standard pattern costs down is a goal, as mentioned earlier- cost of goods these days is more highly scrutinized.
There's a market for half tones. Cost out by resolution and coverage area (i.e. time) and make it worth it. The folks who want/need steel gobos that project near-photo quality will be SAVING money with your product.

I'll pass your comments on up the line Tim, and appreciate you letting me know!

What's the lifespan on something that intricate? I would wager it'd burn up faster than something with less resolution? It looks amazing btw!

I've had the ME-3410 Mary in an M size projected in an ETC Source Four Jr. for 8 hours with no discernable warping. I'll add another 8 hours tomorrow and take a photograph of the gobo after 16 hours-

Oh happy day, another laser came online here at the Apollo temporary headquarters!
As the market wakes up, we'll be adequately prepared to keep everyone's orders moving right along!

Woo hoo!!!

Oh happy day, another laser came online here at the Apollo temporary headquarters!
As the market wakes up, we'll be adequately prepared to keep everyone's orders moving right along!

Woo hoo!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back