Apollo Smart Move Issues

mzeigler

Having problems with a basic Apollo Smart Move Gobo Rotator.

When I hook it to power it seems to run for almost 2 minutes then it stops for 10 seconds then runs for 20 to 30 seconds and stops again repeating the process. Each time it restarts it seems to do a re-home then switch to the speed & effect selected. The power supply is plugged into constant power.

I was wondering if anyone else has had such a problem and what they found to be the fix.

I've never had that issue.
Have you tried using a different power power supply?
Have you tried repeatedly adjusting the switches and speed dial (with the power off) to see if you can get possibly dirty contacts to clean themselves?
Does it behave normally on settings 1 or 2?

Thank you Scenemaster60, for the pertinent advice!

This does sound as though the PSU is dropping out of the loop here.

Are there other 24V accessories also connected to your PSU?

Having problems with a basic Apollo Smart Move Gobo Rotator.

When I hook it to power it seems to run for almost 2 minutes then it stops for 10 seconds then runs for 20 to 30 seconds and stops again repeating the process. Each time it restarts it seems to do a re-home then switch to the speed & effect selected. The power supply is plugged into constant power.

I was wondering if anyone else has had such a problem and what they found to be the fix.
Not sure how that could be a power issue. That behavior is normally a component on the board overheating and shorting out. We would be happy to repair it for you. Please contact your dealer to get an RMA to return the product for repair.

Battle of the Staff. *grabs some popcorn*

Side Note:

I am going to say that it might have something to do with the DMX and it is dropping forcing the unit to home when it loses signal.

Last edited:
The basic Smartmove does not get a DMX signal. It just gets straight 24 volt DC power and has 18 on-board effects and a speed adjustment.
Correct.

The issue here is a bad (or going bad) component on the PCB. It gets too hot and opens or shorts causing it to shut down. Once the unit stops running, the component cools down some and the issue goes away. The unit starts running again, heats up, fails, shuts down, cools down, ... and so the cycle continues. The board needs replaced. As I said, the OP just needs to contact their dealer to get an RMA to send it back to me so I can repair it.

Sounds like a definitive answer to me!
My suggestions were just the things I would have tried at the top of the ladder before pulling it and calling for service.

Sounds like a definitive answer to me!
My suggestions were just the things I would have tried at the top of the ladder before pulling it and calling for service.
And your suggestions were good ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back