ApolloGel - DARK PURPLE

Maverick

I have a client looking for a DARK purple for up lighting at a wedding. I have ordered a DOMINANT LAVENDER which turned out to be pink(DOH)

Can anyone suggest a GEL color by Apollo that would be a nice dark purple? I have the swatch here but I can't find anything!

Sorry my apollo book was swiped from me, or I may have just lost it.... but why does it need to be Apollo gel?

Dominant Lavender is definately NOT pink (pink is like AP8630 or something), but AP3800, or AP3700 ought work for you. Dominant Lavender is just not real deep. The real question is are they looking for purple or lavender. AP3850 might cut the bacon as well. Going for just Apollo gels will limit your range. While I tend to like and spec Apollo on most of my projects, I also use a ton of Roscolux and am starting to use more and more LEE filters as well. Unless, of course, your local supplier only has Apollo, in which case just go look at their colors?

Dark purple is a hard color to get a lot of light from, especially if it is going to be on for a long time! Thinking out of the box, you might want to try using standard medium base florescent black-light bulbs in simple reflector fixtures. They tend to spill a lot of visible purple. If you need a ton more, using a dichroic filter on an HMI source would give you a lot of purple with no where nears the heat of an equivalent halogen source. Also, almost any dark gel in an up-light will burn / fade pretty fast.

Last edited:
The only one I can recommend is "Blurple". I don't use Apollo gels that often, but I read the swatchbook just for fun sometimes. :D (Blurple is the only one I remember)

Thanks for the replies, I am actually ordering from Bill @ ESC and he is an Apollo dealer, the Dominant Lavender I guess isn't really pink but its sure not purple! I am going to look over my swatch book with a flashlight and see what I can find, I am using a 90 watt halogen bulb in the Par 38B's for this project to add a touch or "grape purple" somehow...

Purple is a difficult color. Even the Roscolux purples: R47, R48, R49 tend to skew towards pink. On the other side, the congos and indigos skew toward blue. Those in the middle look lavender. Trial and error is the only way. When you go through the swatchbook with your incandescent mini-mag, also keep in mind the color of what you'll be lighting.

Derek,

Thanks for the reply, very helpful. The walls are a stark white which are great for colors. Its a great room and I want to get this one right!

Hi gang, sorry for the late arrival- been away with a few bus loads of jr/sr high students at a conference this past week. (Looking forward to a good night sleep now...)

As Derek stated, purple can be a little tricky especially when lamp source, stage/prop/costume color, and ambient light are taken into consideration. These factors will affect the perceived hue and saturation of the gel's transmission.

Why Apollo gel? We hope to offer additional choices and solutions for the needs of today and tomorrow's lighting designers. No heavy-handed sales pitch, we merely want to help out.

Hope you're all having a good week,

What Kieth forgot to mention is #'s. I would suggest a look at 3050 purple mist. 3100 and 3150 are deep but definately toward the pink direction, especially if you are using a tungsten source at anything less than full on dimmer. you also might experiment with double gel mixes, just a thought, course you won't get a whole lot of light.

It may be out of the budget but if you really want a dark heavy saturated purple you are going to have to use LED's.

What Kieth forgot to mention is #'s. I would suggest a look at 3050 purple mist. 3100 and 3150 are deep but definately toward the pink direction, especially if you are using a tungsten source at anything less than full on dimmer. you also might experiment with double gel mixes, just a thought, course you won't get a whole lot of light.

Very good point Michael, the selections you've mentioned are very good possibilities and doubling is an option I've used myself. Kudos!

(I was hoping not to turn the question into a shameless plug from the manufacturer, so please forgive my lack of detailed gel transmissions...) :oops:

... if you really want a dark heavy saturated purple you are going to have to use LED's.
I couldn't disagree more! Are you saying that no one ever created "a dark heavy saturated purple" on the stage until seven or so years ago when LEDs became viable?

Well obviously not talking about you Derek, you were creating beautiful purples back in the days of fire and gelatine. I'm not saying that you can't get a deep color out of tungeston and gel, but it's harder. I would also have to argue that there is something special about the deep saturated colors that come from LED's. There is a certain vibrancy to LED color that tungeston and gel can't compete with. I think we are approaching the point that our customers are going to expect that LED color vibrancy in everything because they've seen it in concerts so much.

Very good point Michael, the selections you've mentioned are very good possibilities and doubling is an option I've used myself. Kudos!

(I was hoping not to turn the question into a shameless plug from the manufacturer, so please forgive my lack of detailed gel transmissions...) :oops:

Thanks Keith and everyone else for the lively conversation. I ordered 5 sheets of the Dominant Lavender not really understanding transmission. I currently use LED fixtures, which if this does not work out I might end up using at the event and running DMX to each to get the right color of purple.

Keith, what would you suggest in the Apollo line to get a nice bright, yet deep purple? I am using a 90 watt halogen bulb with Par 38b which I purchased from bill at ESC.

a nice bright, yet deep purple?

Bright and deep often fight each other for first position, so I guess it's up to the viewer as to which quality looks better.

The AP3150 Sour Grape has a transmission of 4.3%, which in itself is pretty saturated. The spectral profile is indicated here- Apollo Design | Sour Grape

AP3100 Precious Purple is more inclusive of the 650nm (orange) range while providing just under 14% transmission.
Apollo Design | Precious Purple

I would like to send a swatchbook if at all possible to assist your efforts, Maverick.

Keith,

Maverick already has a swatch book for Apollo, dealer due diligence. LOL

As uplighting has become the "must have" thing for weddings, a whole new market of "non-lighting" customers have become interested in matching a brides desired colors. Perhaps your marketing department should look into a PDF to assist this segment like the 'Wedding gobo" PDF does.

My colors are blush and bashful.

It looks like someone doused the whole church in Pepto-Bismol.

Keith,

Maverick already has a swatch book for Apollo, dealer due diligence. LOL

As uplighting has become the "must have" thing for weddings, a whole new market of "non-lighting" customers have become interested in matching a brides desired colors. Perhaps your marketing department should look into a PDF to assist this segment like the 'Wedding gobo" PDF does.

Agreed! This is really getting me nervous that we wont be able to provide a purple color and no one has a purple GEL for this event?! I wasn't aware it was such a hard color to get out of a GEL!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back