Apple TV & internet based content

I work at a theatre in a school. Most of our students are on macs. We use Apple TV to connect to our switcher and through to the projector. We are also able to connect via HDMI cable, but for students that like to walk around our stage while presenting, we need a wireless option and most of the time the apple TV connection works great. We have noticed that Apple TV is losing the connection when a) The Powerpoint is on a google drive or one drive instead of the laptop. B) A powerpoint it using a youtube linked video.
Is this something that others have encountered? I know my first instinct is to have the teachers tell/train the kids that in the theatre their projects must be on the laptop they are using and that any videos in a powerpoint must not just be a link to Youtube. However...students being students this problem will continue. Just wondering if there are any other solutions. We do have weird internet connectivity in our theatre since they replace the stucco on the outside of our building with metal siding.

We have the same problem in the corporate presentation world: CEO walks in with his Powerpoint, embedded video from "the cloud". With all the other problems in presentation, they had us this crap sandwich. We download them to an external SSD drive and switch to playback. If we're asked why we like doing it that way we just say "we want to make sure there's a backup in case the wifi goes down."

As an instructor, I think you *can insist* that their projects be on their machines if Wifi issues mean a time/resources drain in project design, build, tech rehearsals, or performance.

Thanks Tim. Good to know it isn't just my problem. I just run the theatre at the school. Wouldn't survive as a teacher. I think they can 'insist' that something is done a certain way, but when it comes to presentation time, that's when you find out if they listened. If I know in advance that they have that type of presentation I will connect them via hdmi connection.

We have the same problem in the corporate presentation world: CEO walks in with his Powerpoint, embedded video from "the cloud". With all the other problems in presentation, they had us this crap sandwich. We download them to an external SSD drive and switch to playback. If we're asked why we like doing it that way we just say "we want to make sure there's a backup in case the wifi goes down."

As an instructor, I think you *can insist* that their projects be on their machines if Wifi issues mean a time/resources drain in project design, build, tech rehearsals, or performance.

Oh man is this so accurate. So many times has video had to stay late because they got a last minute deck with things messed up even after the daily run through. Granted a good production company will roll in with enough equipment to handle all the problems, sometimes even the CEOs slip in a curve ball every once in a while. Mainly information that the video team has no knowledge about like a birthday or death date.

For the other matter. The best way to get your students to follow the rules is fail them for breaking them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back