Application/Resume Question

It does seem late... I think I'll go with an earlier date instead. I think I'll go with either their March 1st or February 23rd option... those seem a bit better.

Going back to interview "strategery"...

If you go early, you have the opportunity to become the standard that other candidates are measured against. If you interview at the end, you have the opportunity to blow them away and make them forget everyone they saw before you. I don't know that there is any strategic benefit to going in the middle so I would try to avoid that.

Hey all, thanks so much for your help. You guys are great!
One final question... I am going to try to schedule my Ithaca interview for the latest interview date (March 23). My reasoning is that by then, I'll have all the sets that I have designed for Guys And Dolls already built, and I will have pictures from the light design to stick in my portfolio.
I don't see an issue with this however I do think there might be a small possibility they would look badly on the fact that I'm waiting to the last minute. Is this just paranoia or would it be a real possibility?
Thanks again.
They won't look down on when you schedule your interview, they realize that they need to have flexible dates so that everyone that wants to can come. Also, realize that at IC it is possible to be accepted to the school but not the theatre department. This is nothing to worry about, but just keep it in mind. This may not come out in the most comprehensible way, but I am going to try... Think about it like this: a good interview with the department will get you in the program, but they can't really do much if you don't meet the criteria to get into IC in general. On the other hand, you may meet all the criteria to get into IC, and you can be accepted, but it is possible to not be accepted to the theatre department.

Don't stress over it though. The faculty there are great, and they know that everyone comes from a different background and has been trained differently. The most important thing to do is show that you are passionate about your work. The department is looking for dedicated and hard working people who have a passion for theatre and want to make a life out of it. You don't have to say that in so many words, but if you present yourself with that image it will go a long way.

Be prepared to answer questions about your designs and design choices. Questions akin to the cliche "what was your motivation" will come up. Also remember that your interview is a time for you to ask questions about the school and the program (no matter where you are interviewing). Have a couple questions ready to ask your interviewer like:
•"What do students do for outside experience?"
•"What kind of internship opportunities are there?"
•"what do people do around here for fun?"​
Questions like that will show an interest in school/program and that you get out a little.

If you have questions about IC, feel free to PM or email me as I am an alum and would be happy to talk to you further about the school.

EDIT: BTW, when you go up there tell them I said hi!

Also remember that your interview is a time for you to ask questions about the school and the program (no matter where you are interviewing). Have a couple questions ready to ask your interviewer like:
•"What do students do for outside experience?"
•"What kind of internship opportunities are there?"
•"what do people do around here for fun?"​
Questions like that will show an interest in school/program and that you get out a little.

This is a really important point. Try to have one or two really good detailed questions that show what you know about the college. This shows you have done your homework about them, and are choosing that college based on your research. The last thing you want to do is to give the impression that this interview is just one of many and you really don't care about one college vs. another. For example, a question of the theater department about how what kinds of opportunities you will have as an undergrad to work on shows. or better yet a question about specific facilities on campus.

Not trying to start an argument with you, bcfcst4. Universities/colleges must turn a profit in order to achieve their higher goal of education. Well, that and have a winning football team.;) It makes little financial sense to admit a candidate who, based on high school achievements, is likely to drop out or be expelled due to poor academic performance before matriculation.
Not talking about those ultra-liberal, hippie-type schools with the "no grade" policies and the like. As a high school senior, I briefly considered a College that had no curricula, all majors were independent study: "make your own major." My guidance counselor correctly advised that upon graduation, I would possess only the skills to be a scholar and go into academia. So I choose the University she, as well as my English, Math, and Theatre teachers, had attended. : )
College professors/admittance officers, feel free to jump in here...

I must disagree with you on this one. My brother was 3rd in his class, with a 4.5 or 4.6 GPA. His SAT scores were outstanding as well. He also recieved enough money in grants to go pretty much where ever he wanted. It is not at all about what your grades are. It is who you know. The school he is in now, is good, but not Ivy league like he was hoping for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back