Career Advice Applying for Job - Cover Letter - To whom to address?

tknelms

I'm currently applying for summer stock positions as a lighting technician. I'm working on the various cover letters/resumes for these applications.

I've been advised by my professors to figure out who will be receiving a cover letter, and to address it to them, and only as an absolute backup to write something like "To the Production Manager of [company name]."

In some cases, this works, as some programs list the name of the recipient of applications. In many more cases, though, I'm running into the issue where there is no specification for the recipient of the resume and cover letter. Or there will be staff listed, but it's confusing which staff member will receive the communication.

Is there a good solution to this? Is there a job title where I can assume they will receive my application? Or perhaps a multipurpose header that's acceptable if there's not much information at all?

Where are you getting your job leads? They often specify who to send the letter to.

Personal recommendations from friends and contacts; I'm getting the specific info from the companies' websites.

Call the main theaters number / their main office number and ask the person at the front desk who the person who receives resumes and/ or applications for the desired position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back