Arduino or ZigBee DMX

RileyChilds

I had a great idea (or a horrible one!) I we thinking about taking 2 ZigBee boards and connecting DMX to them to create a wireless DMX or use several Arduinos to connect to a Ethernet network and mirror DMX on the Pins
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I've wanted to do this for a while, and from what I've read on arduino & DMX, it's hard to do right, there's all kinds of timing issues & bugs, I've not found a premade library that was perfect. If you do find a way I'd be very interested, as it'd be awesome to make your own relay packs.

You don't have the bandwith to run full DMX thru zigbee. I know it has been done with Microchip's 802.15.4 radios, but without the zigbee stack. I believe it has also been run thru the cheap NRF24L01 radios as well. Check out over at the Christmas forums (doityourselfchristmas.com is probably the best).

The other option is to only send a subset of channels.

As for wired ethernet or wifi, there are a number of E1.31 - DMX gateways out there; check DIYC as well for some designs. They are getting more common as the number of channels grows due to RGB pixels,

/mike

Last edited:
Looks like they are only sending 16 channels. That's easy to do. The challenge is squeezing in all 511 channels at full speed.
/mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back