aRFR networking troubles.....

lightingguy1

Hi guys,

I am having some trouble with configuring my "network" to use the aRFR on my phone....

I have included a screen shot from my Wireless router(after I reset it, as I forgot it's configuration password), and a word doc. with my console's complete IP info.

Also, on the App itself, what should I have the name and password as?

I'm assuming the name is just a configuration name to help sort out figurations if you have other setups at like different venues?

Btw, If it counts, I did try to read the networking guide from ETC, but (IMO) it wasn't too helpful....i.e - I was confused when the password and the name on the phone screen shot were the same....

Attachments

• Ion networking_Word.doc
    16.5 KB · Views: 324
  • Screen shot 2011-11-05 at 2.36.32 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-11-05 at 2.36.32 PM.png
    85 KB · Views: 401
Are there any other devices on this network? If not I would un-tick "Address Service" on the ION; only one device on the network should act as DHCP server. You will want to change the routers local IP address to something like 10.101.100.1 (noting that it should not be the same address as the console). Change the subnet mask to 255.255.0.0. In the app click on settings and choose consoles. Enter 10.101.100.101 (the IP address of your ION) in the "IP-address" field. The name and password are both your ION's name. Click save and you should be all set. If your phone is already connected to this network the Connect button should now work. If not connect to this network and launch the app again. ETC's aRFR wiki can be found here if you haven't looked at it already...

Hopefully this helps. Obviously feel free to post back here or on the ETC forum if you need any further assistance.

Best,
John

John,

Yes, there will be a few computers running as clients on the network....Forgot to add that the Ion is plugged directly into the WAN port....

Unfortunately, I can't change the Subnet Mask on the router....

Also, What should the first Address for the DHCP setting on the router be?

So I do not know exactly how the networking works on this, but I do know computer networking.

So if the Ion is plugged into the WAN port that is probably your problem. It should be plugged into the LAN port (local network) and not the WAN (wide area network). Think of it this way. If you have a computer and a printer on a network then the computer in order to print would need to be on the same broadcast domain (subnet) as the computer. Now this is just a generic overview, with routing and policy anything is possible, but seeing you are using a generic Linksys router with stock firmware, i took the liberty to generalize this. So basically your RFU and the ION need to be on the same network (LAN). Try that.

Do the other computers connect to your lighting network via this Linksys router? If not, how do they connect (another switch or router somewhere?) and are they currently connected and working? If so I would still use it as the DHCP server rather than the ION.

The console and any computers connected directly to the router by a cable should be plugged in to one of the four "Ethernet" jacks on the back of the router. Nothing should be plugged in to the "Internet" jack.

I just double checked ETC's recommended IP address setting worksheet and they suggest router addresses should actually begin at 10.101.124.101. The DHCP start address could then be 10.101.124.102.

Best,
John

As disclaimer, I'm not an expert but will share my experiences getting my system up and running.

First question is do you need a password ?. As in, are you concerned that an outside user is going to hack ?. If that's the case, maybe turn off the router during a show (when there are a couple of hundred phones looking for a hotspot). Seeing as how the IP address is in an odd range to begin with, that you need the console IP for the app to work, as well as the app to access the console, how much hacking can take place ?. About the only setting I'd make to my router is filter a MAC address for a particular phone and maybe turn off SSID broadcast.

The aRFR app is going to want the console name and IP address, as well as the Password being the same as the console name. The router is essentially just a WiFi switch in this case and there's no need to be configuring the router IP at all, if what I've read from ETC is to be believed. In any event, I did no configuring on my $40 Netgear WiFi router. You can get the name and IP from the About screen on the console.

You will need to go to the shell on the console and turn on the DHCP server that is Other then the local server DHCP (it's the setting below local and I believe is the Network Address Server.), and as I'm not at the actual console I cannot verify. As well you have to enable the aRFR/iRFR function on this screen (check mark the box). Then re-boot the console. In general, the console will now send it's IP to the WiFi router.

On the aRFR make sure the password is the console name, set the IP address and don't forget to enable your WiFi on the phone/tablet

ok, So here is what I have done....

1.)Gave the Router an IP Address of 10.101.124.101
2.)Disabled the DHCP server on the router and gave the authority to the ion - First Address is 10.101.124.103 - Subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0
3.)renamed my ion to ionconsole - I know, its original :)
4.)Gave the ion an IP address of 10.101.100.101 w/ subnet Mask of 255.255.255.0 & A gateway of 10.101.124.101
5.)Enabled Routed Network with Default IP Gateway of 10.101.124.101

AND IT WORKS!!!

Last edited:
Did you move the ION on the inside of the LAN like i suggested above? If so, when you connect a laptop on the inside of the LAN as well does it get an IP?

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Things are starting to freak out again.....ETC, this needs more light shed on it!! ;)

Now my phone can't get an assigned IP Address...My computer can however....

EDIT: Yes, I moved the ion over the port 4 on the router....

Last edited:
I cannot help you unless I know what you are trying.

Excellent point!

lightingguy1 you say the computer is receiving a served IP address but your phone isn't; what is that address? Is it a 10.x address, or a 192.x address? Are you able to ping the console from the computer?

If you can let us know exactly what you have done, and when/in what order, we may be able to offer better suggestions.

Best,
John

Sorry for the difficulties! It sounds like the wireless network traffic may not be communicating with devices on the wired side. Is your computer hooked up to the wired network ports? If you manually assign the phone an IP address, are you able to ping the Ion or the computer?

As can be seen above, there are many different ways to configure the lighting network to make aRFR work.

The technique that we recommend is as follows. In my experience, it has worked for 99% of all configurations (for those who monitor the ETC Forums, this is influenced significantly by the posts of Tracy Fitch on this topic):

There are a few things that should be done on the Ion side:
1. Turn on "Address Service (DHCP)" for the Ion console under Settings -> Network. It should be handing out IP addresses that's something to the tune of 10.101.50.101, 10.101.125.101, or really anything in the 10.101.x.x range. To make sure you don't end up with a DHCP address conflict, press {Learn Network Devices}.
2. While in the network tab, make sure that "Enable DHCP" at the top of the screen is not checked, and that the Ion has a valid IP address in the ETC recommended range, usually 10.101.100.101. (This is assuming a single Ion console setup, as multiple consoles need unique IP addresses). A full table of our recommended network addresses has already been given in this thread, but the link is: KnowledgeBase: ETC Network IP Addresses - Electronic Theatre Controls
3. Go to the general tab, and change the Ion's console name from "OEM-...." to something that's easier to type and remember.
4. Go to the RFR tab. Make sure that "Enable iPhone/iPod RFR" is checked. (In future versions, this will be "Enable WiFi devices.")
5. Press {Accept} and the console will reboot.

From the wireless router side:
1. Default the wireless router back to factory defaults. If anything has changed in terms of DHCP servers, WAN settings, etc..., they should be back to out-of-the-box settings.
2. Plug the Ion into the WAN port (aka, the Internet or modem port). This is a very intentional step. The idea is that the router will do what it does best - hand out DHCP addresses in one IP address range, and be able to send traffic between two different networks. Any traffic that it does not know what to do with will be sent out the Internet port, including traffic headed for 10.101.x.x.
3. Along this topic - if there is a larger ETCNet backbone switch for the system, plug this router in to one of the ports in that network, rather than having the Ion connnect to the ETCNet system through this router. Makes configuration simpler, and there are fewer points of failure.
(4. Configure any security that you may want. For testing and configuration, I'd recommend doing this at the conclusion of the setup, when you know for sure that it works. )

For the Android device:
1. If you have set up the Android to have a static IP address, remove it, and let it get a DHCP address from the router. (Ion hands out an IP address to the router and any other devices on the ETC Network; the router hands out IP addresses to anything wireless.)
2. Make sure that the password you've entered matches the console's name. The console name can be found in two places: under Settings in the shell (Exit Ion -> Settings -> General -> Device Name), or in the console application (clear the command line, and hit [About]).
3. Make sure you have the correct IP address for the console. This can also be found in the shell (Exit Ion -> Settings -> Network -> Local IP Settings) or in the console application (like the console name, this is found in [About] with a clear command line).
4. If you are having difficulty in getting a connection to the console, consider downloading a free Ping app. This will do wonders for troubleshooting the connection. (In 1.9.8, the Network tab in the shell will also have a Ping button).
5. Make sure that the Ion is launched as Primary (or whatever setting appropriate for your system) when you are trying to connect. The aRFR/iRFR will not connect unless the Ion software is running, and you're launched into the main application.

The reasons why we recommend the above are varied, but in particular, we've found that this set-up is designed for plug and play -- any device should be able to connect and function once set up, without requiring manual IP addressing.

Last edited:
Just wondering, why is the setup so dependent on having IP addresses within certain ranges?

I don't think it is, that is just default values and to get it to work right out of the box without changing a bunch of settings that non-networking people would find difficult to configure they say that is the recommended to get it up and running.

The DHCP server on the ION is also not a requirement, a DHCP server configured properly is a DHCP server, so that is again just another recommendation to ease the pains of the configuration on the units.

Security is also going to be a big concern in these operations because it could be a big issue if someone broke in. Hiding the SSID, MAC address filtering and the list goes in are all protectors, but nothing is 100%. It basically just keeps the honest people honest. So my recommendation would be shut the wireless radios off during the shows unless its is 100% necessary to have them, and then practice good phsical security. A way to check would be to check in your routers ARP tables to make sure that no one unauthorized is on your network during the shows.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for the help! - Sorry about my bland and unexplained operations posts there....I was in my stressed out, about to throw this crappy router, mood.

To be clearer, THE CONSOLE SHOULD PLUGGED INTO THE WAN PORT (Sorry for caps, I'm not yelling, just making sure I read that right!)

Here is my setup:

My Mac is connected wirelessly to the wireless router, and my console was connected into the 4th LAN port. (It is now connected to the WAN port)

Also, What should the Subnet Mask be for everything? 255.255.255.0?

Last edited:
To be clearer, THE CONSOLE SHOULD PLUGGED INTO THE WAN PORT (Sorry for caps, I'm not yelling, just making sure I read that right!)

I do not think so, unless NAT is off, the firewall is off, and you have created special IP routes I do not think the console is supposed to be plugged into the WAN port especially if the console is the DHCP server. Basically the wireless router is acting as an access point for the network not as a router in this case. So in this case if you do not have the DHCP server turned on in the router and it is on in the console you should not have an issue. Your iPhone, Laptop, and ION should be on the LAN, nothing on the WAN. ( I would not do internet on this router.)

Also,

My console (When I click into Primary) only shows User 1 above the command line...Shouldn't there be words like Master... i.e.?

Good news! I'm going to get a new router for the venue tomorrow before the show that night!...We still need to focus some more things....

Any recommendations? If anyone says Linksys....I will joyfully sell you this total piece of crap router, and ship it to you!

I was thinking Netgear......

Last edited:
I do not think so, unless NAT is off, the firewall is off, and you have created special IP routes I do not think the console is supposed to be plugged into the WAN port especially if the console is the DHCP server. Basically the wireless router is acting as an access point for the network not as a router in this case. So in this case if you do not have the DHCP server turned on in the router and it is on in the console you should not have an issue. Your iPhone, Laptop, and ION should be on the LAN, nothing on the WAN. ( I would not do internet on this router.)

NO!
Not with the way ETC have it recommended.

Yes ETC's way is slightly convoluted but it will work and willl solve a tonne of other issues.

So if it's not working now, go back and factory default the router.
Plug the console into the WAN port

If it doesn't work at this point, log on to the router's GUI
Check it's status on the WAN Port - it should have received a 10.101.x.x address
Check you have a valid IP on the phone.

Routing 101 says that if the place I want to go is not within my current subnet as defined by IP and subnet mask, then I send the traffic to the default gateway, which is the router here which spits it out it's WAN port because it's not internal traffic.

Last edited:
Security is also going to be a big concern in these operations because it could be a big issue if someone broke in. Hiding the SSID, MAC address filtering and the list goes in are all protectors, but nothing is 100%. It basically just keeps the honest people honest. So my recommendation would be shut the wireless radios off during the shows unless its is 100% necessary to have them, and then practice good phsical security. A way to check would be to check in your routers ARP tables to make sure that no one unauthorized is on your network during the shows.

Enable WPA-based encryption, not WEP and should be good keeping people off that don't have the passphrase.
WEP can be cracked in a number of minutes.

Enable WPA-based encryption, not WEP and should be good keeping people off that don't have the passphrase.
WEP can be cracked in a number of minutes.

As well as hiding the SSID and MAC filtering. Most (if not all) people around would be able to get on to your network, and even if they did (you could be able to tell from the Mac)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back