Vintage Lighting Ariel and Davis

I was recently in a high school auditorium (built 1967) and noticed they had these stage pockets that seem to be sealed closed. I read in the wiki that Ariel and Davis was a lighting company in the 40s-60s before becoming electro controls.

My question (wondering) is: What kind of connectors were likely used in this and why would it be sealed off?

Attachments

• IMG_0110.jpg
    IMG_0110.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 352
Actually it's not Ariel and Davis, the company was owned by a guy named Ariel Davis. If the auditorium were older that 1967 it might have held stage plug sockets, but this seems too new for that.

They use twistlock. Most of their lights are S4s, but also a lot of old 360Qs and scoops. My understanding is that they did update the dimmers around 2003 or so. I wasn't allowed to see the dimmers unfortunately (maintenance staff only...) However, I assume they are disconnected because the venue has 48 dimmers which are all hard wired to the lighting positions.

Bill, I think that you're right with the floor wax. Thanks for the suggestion!

Doesn't look sealed off to me... Looks identical to the ones in the McManus installed in the 70s. They are 20A Twist.
Just get a level and give it some elbow grease.

Ours are a little tight and can be a pain to utilize the circuits on the outer sides especially.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back