The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Artnet or MaNet with NSP

Discussion in 'Lighting and Electrics' started by McCready00, May 16, 2009.

1. McCready00

McCready00 Active Member

I tried to set a network between the Grandma console and a NSP. Everything was working fine when I was using the Artnet protocol. But it seems that the NSP could not be found by the console when I was using the MAnet protocol.

You have any idea of what could be the problem?

And what's usually better for gigs that needs 1-8 universes, Artnet or Ma-Net?

2. RonaldBeal

RonaldBeal Active Member

A couple of things to check:
    1 that the GranndMA console has the network upgrade to allow it to talk to NSP's (some of the first GrandMA's had to have a card and a second ethernet port added.)

2 Make sure both console and NSP are on the same ip subnet i.e. 192.168.0.x

3 Also, you MUST start a session for the NSP's to join the console.
    Hope this helps
    RB

3. KeeperoftheKeys

KeeperoftheKeys Member

As said by RonaldBeal you need to start a session on the grandMA for the NSP to join.

As far as protocols are concerned, the grandMA can safely calculate up to 8 universes for you so for up to 8 universes you could use ArtNet, however if you want to use more you should use Ma-Net with NSPs this is because with ArtNet the console is still doing the calculations whereas with Ma-Net the NSP gets the showfile and just receives events [fader x up, button press y, etc.] from the desk and with those calculates what needs to be broadcast.

Edit: make sure both the NSP and the console are at the same firmware version (an NSP is just a desk without a real desk) otherwise the showfile may not be compatible.

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  4. KeeperoftheKeys

KeeperoftheKeys Member

Just a small clarification:
    When you use ArtNet to communicate with the NSP the desk does all the calculations for all the broadcast universes and the NSP merely acts as a protocol converter from ArtNet to DMX512.
    When you use Ma-Net to communicate between the NSP and the desk you can offload the calculations onto the NSP.