Artnet to Phillips hue I found it.

jtweigandt

So in looking for replacing our "wallbox" manual dimmers and looking at previous threads it seems that a dmx controlled wall box dimmer still doesn't exist.

But while I was down the rabbit hole, I discovered on github a utility that will run on a windows or linux computer, sit in the background, waiting for the artnet signal, translate, and send it out to the hue hub and ultimately to the smart bulb.
WOW that's exciting. Could run the utility on a cheap always on pc or thin client with your favorite flavor of linux.

The hue hub doesn't have to call the mother ship to work.. no external internet link needed. The hue bulbs work on the zigbee protocol and set up a mesh network among themselves, for improved range/reliability instead of wifi or bluetooth, and take commands from the hue hub.

Lightboard >>computer running dmx-hue>> hue hub >> wireless to bulb And you maybe can have have decently dimming LED's with no electrical retrofit.

Bulbs can be set to "last state" or "auto on" in the case of a power down/up

They make really inexpensive wall switches/dimmers that talk to the hub as well, so if you need both regular occupancy and "booth override" the system will do this.

All on paper right now, but I am definitely going to be doing some experiments. Z wave looks to be well above the microphone frequencies.

There are 3rd party manufacturers of bulbs compatible with hue.. I'm currently looking for a higher output bulb than the hue line.. they seem to max out at a 100 watt equivalent.

This is a DMX-controlled dimmer that says it mounts ON a 2-gang electrical box. Whether it will go IN the box I don't know.
2G DMX dimmer.png

This is a DMX-controlled dimmer that says it mounts ON a 2-gang electrical box. Whether it will go IN the box I don't know.
Thank you so much!! Those guys need to educate the world how to isolate your product from google and duck duck go. I have been looking for just that product for ages. Old threads here, reddit, raw google searches.. and it was something that didn't seem to exist. It would be a 200 dollar experiment.. but considering the new elation or etc fixtures without even considering control are 900 bucks a pop.. this (and the other I mentioned) are probably worthwhile experiments.

So in looking for replacing our "wallbox" manual dimmers and looking at previous threads it seems that a dmx controlled wall box dimmer still doesn't exist.

But while I was down the rabbit hole, I discovered on github a utility that will run on a windows or linux computer, sit in the background, waiting for the artnet signal, translate, and send it out to the hue hub and ultimately to the smart bulb.
WOW that's exciting. Could run the utility on a cheap always on pc or thin client with your favorite flavor of linux.

The hue hub doesn't have to call the mother ship to work.. no external internet link needed. The hue bulbs work on the zigbee protocol and set up a mesh network among themselves, for improved range/reliability instead of wifi or bluetooth, and take commands from the hue hub.

Lightboard >>computer running dmx-hue>> hue hub >> wireless to bulb And you maybe can have have decently dimming LED's with no electrical retrofit.

Bulbs can be set to "last state" or "auto on" in the case of a power down/up

They make really inexpensive wall switches/dimmers that talk to the hub as well, so if you need both regular occupancy and "booth override" the system will do this.

All on paper right now, but I am definitely going to be doing some experiments. Z wave looks to be well above the microphone frequencies.

There are 3rd party manufacturers of bulbs compatible with hue.. I'm currently looking for a higher output bulb than the hue line.. they seem to max out at a 100 watt equivalent.

Could this be run on rasberry Pi?

Could this be run on rasberry Pi?
ok.. now you're just baiting me :) but actually yes since the rasp pi is linux the artnet to hue "always on" box could be a pi. I really like microstar's link though.. that's the unicorn I was looking for in the first place.

If the hue arrangement sounds kludgy.. Here's my house light controls as they have been for 20 years now. And even if the hue isn't the answer... knowing how to get from dmx to hue could be useful in a lot of other contexts as well.. I just thought it's a cool piece of kit, and I will be experimenting with it even if it's not the ultimate destination. I also have a picture for you of my comm system server.. Has run continuously for probably 5 years now with only one sd card failure.. and the occasional reboot. I keep a spare sd ready to go under the lid of the pi as you can see.
074B7CFB-D3B8-4947-A1D6-A53137706AE1.jpeg
1DB0FC11-19CC-4D6A-86B9-2850F6FF10C8.jpeg

Last edited:
I use the DMX-Hue at my home to sync up some hue bulbs with some other LEDs I have and while it does work, it is a little intermittent. Getting all the bulbs to respond at the same time is hit or miss because of the wireless factor. You’re sending a signal out and hoping it makes it there.

I use the DMX-Hue at my home to sync up some hue bulbs with some other LEDs I have and while it does work, it is a little intermittent. Getting all the bulbs to respond at the same time is hit or miss because of the wireless factor. You’re sending a signal out and hoping it makes it there.
Thanks for the field report.. I'm starting to get more excited about the dimmers microstar found. The company just replied to me that if they are on and you shut down the dmx feed, they remain on... which is just what the Doctor ordered. They would require no other re wiring in my facility other than the dimmer swap.. Might order one and see if I can pair it with an acceptable LED bulb. As others have said.. our old mechanical dimmers are probably not a fair test of an LED bulbs actual capability. I have some in my kitchen that dim very nicely with a modern dimmer rated for them.

ok.. now you're just baiting me :) but actually yes since the rasp pi is linux the artnet to hue "always on" box could be a pi. I really like microstar's link though.. that's the unicorn I was looking for in the first place.

If the hue arrangement sounds kludgy.. Here's my house light controls as they have been for 20 years now. And even if the hue isn't the answer... knowing how to get from dmx to hue could be useful in a lot of other contexts as well.. I just thought it's a cool piece of kit, and I will be experimenting with it even if it's not the ultimate destination. I also have a picture for you of my comm system server.. Has run continuously for probably 5 years now with only one sd card failure.. and the occasional reboot. I keep a spare sd ready to go under the lid of the pi as you can see.
Unless I am misreading your houselight control system photo, it looks like the mechanical linkage (strip of wood) is mastering all of the wallbox dimmers. If you were looking for a DMX-controlled
wallbox dimmer to replace each one, that will get expensive. Why not use one larger DMX dimmer instead?
Dove Systems has 1x2400w and 4x2400w DMX/0-10 dimmers in standard 8x8x4 electrical junction boxes made purposely for permanent wiring situations.

Dove 1x24.png

Unless I am misreading your houselight control system photo, it looks like the mechanical linkage (strip of wood) is mastering all of the wallbox dimmers. If you were looking for a DMX-controlled
wallbox dimmer to replace each one, that will get expensive. Why not use one larger DMX dimmer instead
The one you pointed out has a 4x option as well.. the singles are only about 200 a pop though and wouldn't need an electrician for the direct replacement. All the 4x and 8x options either need a bigger infeed (we have 20 amps for each single right now) or divide the outfeed to some pretty low capacities. The singles give me a full 500 watts downstream ... so if someone puts in a conventional bulb or two by mistake, less likely to blow the dimmer's fuse.

JT: You've had some quote-layering problems in this thread you might want to go back and clean up... :)
Unfortunately I'm beyond my edit time window. I think it mostly came down to the fact that originally I tried to truncate the auto quoted text, and lost the "seperator" graphic formatting. I will be more careful in the future.

Cross posted on another thread about church lighting.. But I got one of the digital lighting systems dimmers in, and tested it with the TCP brand bulbs
both conventional and flood style.. Really great.. they hang in there to 14 and 10% respectively when hooked to our ion on a submaster.
Gonna try some cheaper bulbs as well.. Dimmer saves state when dmx is lost... wahoo.. have to see yet whether this is still true in an unexpected power down power up..
but.. could cut in a bypass switch if necessary as well I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back