Aslan's Voice

NMBCT

We are producing the Joseph Robinette adaptation of CS Lewis' "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" this spring. My amazing TD and his team have created an incredible Aslan. Our team is divided on the best way to voice this amazing creation. A lovely Welsh adult voice actor has completed an initial vocal tract. It is a lot of pre-recorded audio for our young actors to stay engaged (ages 8 to 16). The Aslan creation will have two operators. Would the production be better served with two operators, the head operator also voicing the creature or two operators working with a pre-recorded voice tract? Thank you for your input.

The determining factor for me would be: can the face of the head operator be seen / seen well by the time they are all costumed up? If it can't, it might as well be a voice over anyway. If the face can be seen, then the operator is now also an actor, in which case I would go live (unless he sounds like Pee Wee Herman or something...)

My vote is on going to pre-recorded Aslan, and maybe adding some reverb and minor processing on the tracks for gravitas. ;)

(Assuming the operator's face is not visible)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back