Aspiring Lighting Designer and Controller

Hello,

My names Anthony and I'm a high school student in upstate New York. In the past 3 years i have become highly interested in lighting design and control. I volunteered countless hours inside and outside of my school designing, controlling, and managing shows of various types. Recently I've begun updating my school's conventional lighting system. With this I refurbished our schools old projector room into a very functional sound and light room. With this I rewired our school's Leprecon dimmer as it was damaged some years ago. I also purchased and wired at 500ft 30ch Mackie sound snake to work with our old 1530 Mackie unpowered mixer. Currently I'm working on incorporating Daslight's XLR-DMX control and software into our system. This is all to be updated for our upcoming productions and concert series in the fall. With the use of conventional lighting in our auditorium I have been asked to teach several classes and start a club within my school teaching my peers how to effectively use the fixtures in productions, repair and replace any unit, wire, design, and control all technical aspects of shows.

This summer and durring the school year on weekends, I am looking to work with anyone near Albany, New York. I'm open to anything small or big and as i would like to work for pay I'm also open to volunteering my time.

Hi Anthony,

Welcome to CB! Take a look around the extensive Glossary and Wiki, and search through some old posts - there's an enormous wealth of knowledge available here. I'm from upstate New York too. How old are you, what year in school, where are you from? We're a very nosy bunch around here. I always think it's cool to meet other people who are really into technical theatre from this area. Who knows, maybe we'll wind up working a Union call together sometime :).

Welcome to the booth! While I admire your work ethic, I sure hope you had a license to do all that electrical work!

Lol thank you I did have a licesnsed electrician (my schools tech guy) wire anything electrical as I of course cannot legally do tht in a school building. I also put in many work orders for updates on other electrical wiring as I found they were no longer deemed safe under nys fire code. I did wire most of the xlr cables which I checked with school administration and they came back to me with the ok. As an extra percaution a maintnence electrician at my school supervised all the work I had done. All updates I have made are well documented as well via blueprints contructuion logs and building specs

Lol thank you I did have a licesnsed electrician (my schools tech guy) wire anything electrical as I of course cannot legally do tht in a school building. I also put in many work orders for updates on other electrical wiring as I found they were no longer deemed safe under nys fire code. I did wire most of the xlr cables which I checked with school administration and they came back to me with the ok. As an extra percaution a maintnence electrician at my school supervised all the work I had done. All updates I have made are well documented as well via blueprints contructuion logs and building specs

You're very lucky to have such cooperative school personnel! I tried to do many similar things back in high school, but there were so many issues. First, there were some interesting 'politics' between the theatre person and the janitors. Second, decent blueprints were nowhere to be found, and the ones that I did find were original. No updates since the school was built in the early 70s. Third, there was zero budget. Fourth, work orders took half an eternity to be completed. Hmm...the list goes on and on. When you have everyone's support and cooperation, you can do so much more!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back