Asset Tags?

cceprod

Hello!

We recently started using Costume Inventory Resources' Equipment Inventory Database (see https://www.costumeinventory.com/) and it has been AWESOME. But I digress. Now for the real reason I'm posting here.

They sent us a sample of their heat resistant labels, and I tested them but found that they just weren't going to work for our inventory, as we use them outdoors in the rain and such and the labels are not water resistant. So I ventured to the wonderful world of the internet and found myassettag.com and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with their metal asset tags, or really any metal asset tags on lighting instruments. They seem like they'll do the job, but for the price tag (almost a dollar a piece for the one I want) i really want to make sure I'm getting what I pay for and I want to make sure I'm not going to be spending 5-7 times on tags that have the same issues I'm trying to avoid.

Hello!

We recently started using Costume Inventory Resources' Equipment Inventory Database (see https://www.costumeinventory.com/) and it has been AWESOME. But I digress. Now for the real reason I'm posting here.

They sent us a sample of their heat resistant labels, and I tested them but found that they just weren't going to work for our inventory, as we use them outdoors in the rain and such and the labels are not water resistant. So I ventured to the wonderful world of the internet and found myassettag.com and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with their metal asset tags, or really any metal asset tags on lighting instruments. They seem like they'll do the job, but for the price tag (almost a dollar a piece for the one I want) i really want to make sure I'm getting what I pay for and I want to make sure I'm not going to be spending 5-7 times on tags that have the same issues I'm trying to avoid.
@cceprod In addition to being water-proof / resistant, the issues you're trying to avoid are ? ? ?
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard.

Any reason not to just apply your own numbering with a paint pen? Unless the tag has a barcode, the pen is going to be way more durable.

I've never seen an asset tag used on lighting that actually works. One of my regular venues has ones that pull off really easily, but the fixture labels for each show require GooGone to remove. I think it's the textured powdercoat.

Also, hand writing the number lets you put it somewhere where a tag might not fit.

Or heck, use the tags to assign the numbers, but copy them onto the fixture elsewhere in pen.

My venues use any number of variations of these. We always find something that makes them come off, it's a trial and error sort of thing.

I mean, the peel and stick ones on head blocks never come off, There's that outdoor tightrope with the dog tag style one pressed on with a wire rope Sunday, but then again...asset tags on climbing ropes are an ever evolving thing. I like the paint pen idea, unless you've got a Maximo handheld unit and need to scan the barcode (but don't do that, 'cause Maximo sucks)

Any reason not to just apply your own numbering with a paint pen? Unless the tag has a barcode, the pen is going to be way more durable.

I've never seen an asset tag used on lighting that actually works.

Second vote on paint pen.. that's the only method I've seen so far that works and isn't more trouble than it's worth. I really wanted there to be a good barcode solution, so I could then check stuff in and out with my phone etc, but I've not seen a label that's good enough.

The other advantage to using paint pen is that you can mark both the fixture and the cap.. when I first put an instrument into inventory, I assign the same number to both the cap and the body and write it on both. That way I can tell if things got moved around while the equipment was out, and if I decide to I can true things up so the cap stays with the body it came on.

If you do find a barcode solution that works, please let me know though!

I'd like to revisit this topic. I'm trying to go the Lightwright route and be able to print labels, but I too do not want them coming off easy. Peel and stick labels I imagine are probably fine on my movers (in an indoor venue where our lights rarely move).

My thought for the lekos was a combination of a peel and stick label and transparent vinyl tape? I'm okay with easy to peel off as long as it doesn't peel off until I want it to.

But I'm not sure what to do about barrels (which disappear and trade spaces more than anything else). I'm wondering if anyone has anything heatproof enough for a barrel but not necessarily weatherproof enough for outdoor use?

I love paint pens, but the other company that operates in my building also uses paint pen, and I'm trying to come up with labels that are different and clear which fixtures belong where.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back