Assistant Lighting Designer Kit

lighttechie5948

Hi Guys,

I'm the ALD for a Broadway LD next week. It's not a broadway show, but it it a professional show with broadway actors and broadway ticket prices. I've heard that some of my friends that are Assistants usually make an "Assistant Kit" with everything they or the designer their assisting may need.

What items should be in this kit? The only one I've heard so far is Band-Aids....

Hi Guys,

I'm the ALD for a Broadway LD next week. It's not a broadway show, but it it a professional show with broadway actors and broadway ticket prices. I've heard that some of my friends that are Assistants usually make an "Assistant Kit" with everything they or the designer their assisting may need.

What items should be in this kit? The only one I've heard so far is Band-Aids....

White and Black Gaff
Etape
Zip ties
Laptop, with either DWG, DXF, VWX (any CAD) viewer
Rosco/Lee/Gam Swatch
Scissors
Sharpies
Sunglasses (as you will be the focusing model and have to look at the lights a lot)
Light Meter if you have one
RMS Meter if you have one
Thick Skin
Patience
and most importantly, a hidden FLASK!!!

Copies of all the paper work on paper and electronic
legal pads
small pocket size notebooks
contact info for the venue, local restaurants, crew chief, producer, rental houses, other designers, and the director to name a few
highlighters and markers
stapler
three hole punch
tape
post it flags

If you have to make a choice to bring tools or office supplies office supplies will help you more. True Broadway assistants have little need for multi meters and E tape as that suggests they are going to be using them. From what you have said it sounds like there should be a labor crew there making this a white gloves gig for you.

As assistant you will be taking notes and serving as a scribe as sorts for the LD. You might end up calling some focus or answer questions from the crew at calls when the LD is unavailable.

Bring something good to eat - or pistachio nuts.
Find out what kind of munchies, drinks, etc your LD likes and ( if the theatre allows) bring them.

Consider bringing flowers if the vibe is such that it makes sense.

There is a wonderful interview with Gilbert Hemsley at Hemsley Lighting Programs - Interview

Gil was the best at people management. You don't want to step over your designers boundaries, but read the article and think how you can help make the audience desk an oasis of calm.

Before you go building a huge work bag and spending a lot of money on it, what is going to be your role? Are you going to be an actual assistant or is it more of a job shadow type thing?

Last edited:
Before you go building a huge work bag and spending a lot of money on it, what is going to be your role? Are you going to be an actual assistant or is it more of a job shadow type thing?

Somewhere in the middle

I'd talk to the LD and ask him what your responsibilities would be. Every designer has their personal preference of what their assistant keeps track of. Best way to know is to ask.

Oh, and bring a smile, those are always important, and usually in short supply.

Somewhere in the middle

With that, I would not fret to much over what you need to bring. Bring plenty of pens, pencils, sharpies, a wrench, a notepad, and swatch books. You don't need a lighting meter or anything crazy like that. Bring a good attitude and know when to ask questions and when not to ask questions. What is the show? Is it something going on in your space that is meant to be a learning opportunity for your school or is it a legit show? This person knows you don't know what to expect, so they are not going to expect you to have everything. Ask questions, be helpful, and have fun.

Add to your list:
-Rosco and GAM gobo catalogs.
-User manuals for any non-conventional equipment that might be in the plot, either in hard copy or already downloaded to your laptop.
-Have copies of all paperwork including hook-up, lighting inventory, schedules, contact sheets, lineset schedule, set drawings if available, followspot cue sheet blanks.

If you are carrying a laptop, find out what your printing options are, if any. If you are going into a union house, try to find out the rules. Get an early start on being as self-sufficient as possible so that you are there to back up the designer and not just become another responsibility for them.

As some others have mentioned, good manners and a good attitude are a must. As the late, great Craig Miller used to say, "good assistants are like children, seen and not heard."

Not as many as there used to be, but there are still some LDs who like paper plots over digital. It may be handy to have your scale rulers and other mechanical drafting supplies at the ready if you are not sure if this may or may not be the case. (In my books, always be prepared for anything).

Indeed make sure you have any manuals for anything on your laptop at least. If you run into a pinch be the person to know the answer.

And to re-interate BRING LOTS OF PAPER AND PENS AND PENCILS!!!!
BRING LOTS OF SHARPIES...

A clipboard may be a good idea...

And if you need, bring a wrist brace... you will be writing a LOT!

Does anyone have a template for this?

For the most part, everyone has their own personal idea of what a cue sheet should look like - and for some designers it depends on the show. I use a very structured, grid-like sheet for my spot cues because that's how I think and it makes things very clear for my (usually inexperienced) spot ops. Other designers use cue sheets that are much more free-flowing and organic, which allows you to just type stuff as it comes up without worrying about format. Just make a document that works well for you, as you're the one who will have to be recording this info as fast and accurately as possible. If the designer wants his paperwork formatted a certain way he will tell you, if not just do what works.

EDIT: Planned to attach a copy of my spot cue sheet, but I guess I don't have any past ones on my new laptop. I'll try to upload mine next time I'm at home. Check out the spot cue sheets and cue track sheets available at http://lightingdb.nypl.org/. Most of them are pretty old, but it's interesting to see the vast differences between how designers format their paperwork.

Last edited:
Thanks for offering to show the cue sheets.

Could you direct me where to look for the cue sheets on the sight. I have found nothing.

Thanks

Thanks for offering to show the cue sheets.

Could you direct me where to look for the cue sheets on the sight. I have found nothing.

Thanks

Click that link, it should link you to the NYPL Lighting Database. Click on the link for "A Chorus Line". On the left of the screen, click on "Running Followspot Cues (8)". This will show you all the spot cues in the show, for every spot, every in and out. Also check out the other follow spot paperwork. Also check out the link for "Master Track Sheets", which shows the contents of each cue. I don't think there are any designers anymore who want these written out, as it's all programmed and most boards can print out the data anyways, but it's good to see what they had to do in the past.

I've attached some spot cue sheets from a show I designed back in March. The Master includes all cues, and would be used if one person was calling cues to the spots (as in most touring shows). The individual track sheet would be given to the spot operator on longer runs and they would take all their own cues. My template is based heavily on Tharon Musser's spot cue sheets in Chorus Line, because I really like her format and it works great for me. Others will have their own preferences, and you may develop something you like better.

Attachments

• Titanic Followspot Cues Master.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 620
  • Titanic Followspot Cues - Spot 1.pdf
    39.2 KB · Views: 546
I have found that Filemaker Pro (or any database program) is one of the most efficient ways to generate and maintain spot paperwork. One of the biggest advantages is that once you have a template, all you have to do is input the data for each new show you do. Also, at least in FMP you can generate many different layouts for output, so while I might work on the master sheet, all the information that gets entered also goes into a cue sheet for each individual spot operator.

Here is an example from "The Light in the Piazza" which we did last season:
View attachment Piazza Spot Master.pdf
View attachment Piazza Spot 2.pdf

Users who are viewing this thread

Back