Asymmetric LED cyc lights

Wood4321

Last edited by a moderator:
ETC goes BakPak !

The asymmetric LED concept may not be possible optically. Novella Smith and I talked in great depth about the best way to light a cyc with Selador, and if we could expect an asymmetric lens for cyc applications. She didn't say it wasn't at all possible, but she did note that because the various colors of emitters don't mix their colors into a singular beam of light until several feet away from the fixture, anything asymmetric could be riddled with issues of colors not mixing consistently from the top of the cyc to the bottom.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Re: ETC goes BakPak !

The asymmetric LED concept may not be possible optically. Novella Smith and I talked in great depth about the best way to light a cyc with Selador, and if we could expect an asymmetric lens for cyc applications. She didn't say it wasn't at all possible, but she did note that because the various colors of emitters don't mix their colors into a singular beam of light until several feet away from the fixture, anything asymmetric could be riddled with issues of colors not mixing consistently from the top of the cyc to the bottom.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Altman and Strand both make one. I've demo'ed both and was impressed. Biggest drawback is that it can't be brought downstage for general use.

Altman and Strand both make one. I've demo'ed both and was impressed. Biggest drawback is that it can't be brought downstage for general use.

Yes they do, but those are asymmetric reflectors, not asymmetric lenses. The intent is that someone could get a cleaner cyc wash with Selador classic or with a D40 or D60 by using a fancy asymmetric lens without having to buy a dedicated cyc light type fixture. It could be argued that Selador classic is a cyc fixture already, but anyone who's tried to focus them knows it is quite the task to get them perfectly focused, and that you'll have a bright spot at the top of the cyc.

Yes they do, but those are asymmetric reflectors, not asymmetric lenses. The intent is that someone could get a cleaner cyc wash with Selador classic or with a D40 or D60 by using a fancy asymmetric lens without having to buy a dedicated cyc light type fixture. It could be argued that Selador classic is a cyc fixture already, but anyone who's tried to focus them knows it is quite the task to get them perfectly focused, and that you'll have a bright spot at the top of the cyc.

Ah, I understand now what you are saying. As someone who HAS struggled with a linear Selador on a cyc, I understand.

For years now, I've been hoping for a better spreader lens for the MultiPAR. A lens with two different spreading sections would really be a godsend.

Yes they do, but those are asymmetric reflector s, not asymmetric lenses. ...
Who brought up asymmetric lens es?

But since someone did, what's the difference between the "Border Lens" and "Cyc Lens" for the Chroma-Q ColorForce series?
[Answering my own question...]
From the brochure.pdf :
Beam Angle 12° (prelim.)
(with optional Cyc lens) 60 x 10° (prelim.)
(with optional Border lens) 50° (prelim.)
It appears the Cyc Lens is just a linear spread lens, not a true asymmetric, which would have heavy diffusion at the top gradating to virtually none at the bottom (for an overhead fixture). Interesting idea that I'm not sure anyone has tried yet. I foresee huge horrors of chromatic aberration and rainbowing (stole that term from CB today) everywhere.

(Since we're discussing diffusion lenses, see also this post.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back