Atomic 3000 DMX Repair

Marek

Hello folks,

I acquired an Atomic 3000 from my bother who works in theater setting up equipment that has a bit of a problem. The unit seems to power on as the red power light comes on but won't strobe. I set the DIP switches to stand-alone mode, the strength to low power, and a flash rate but it doesn't seem to want to do anything. I was looking at the schematics for it (which I found on here) but being a bit new to electronics diagnostics, I was hoping for some pointers on where to start to see what the problem might be. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello folks,

I acquired an Atomic 3000 from my bother who works in theater setting up equipment that has a bit of a problem. The unit seems to power on as the red power light comes on but won't strobe. I set the DIP switches to stand-alone mode, the strength to low power, and a flash rate but it doesn't seem to want to do anything. I was looking at the schematics for it (which I found on here) but being a bit new to electronics diagnostics, I was hoping for some pointers on where to start to see what the problem might be. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Is it a 120v or 240v unit? Does it have the appropriate lamp?

PLEASE be very careful. Unless you are experienced with high voltage and know what you are doing, don't open the unit. One misstep can blow up your multi meter or kill you.
-Todd

Is it a 120v or 240v unit? Does it have the appropriate lamp?

PLEASE be very careful. Unless you are experienced with high voltage and know what you are doing, don't open the unit. One misstep can blow up your multi meter or kill you.
-Todd
Should that be kill you or worse blow up your multi meter😝

This is the 120v version. Yeah, I figured that thing would be dangerous to work on given that the power plugs straight into the board and not a transformer. I had the board out of it already for visual inspection but it has been quite some time (many months) since it had been energized. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the board. I believe it has an OEM lamp in it though I haven't pulled the lamp itself to see if that is the case. Having not tinkered with one of these before, i wasn't sure if it would try to strobe regardless of whether a lamp was in there/broken or not. I'm not really looking to get fired here (or kill my multi meter) so I wasn't planning on having it plugged in when looking at it though I assume that is fairly unavoidable for diagnostics.

I was sort of hoping this was a common problem but figured I couldn't get that lucky :)

This is the 120v version. Yeah, I figured that thing would be dangerous to work on given that the power plugs straight into the board and not a transformer. I had the board out of it already for visual inspection but it has been quite some time (many months) since it had been energized. I didn't see anything obviously wrong with the board. I believe it has an OEM lamp in it though I haven't pulled the lamp itself to see if that is the case. Having not tinkered with one of these before, i wasn't sure if it would try to strobe regardless of whether a lamp was in there/broken or not. I'm not really looking to get fired here (or kill my multi meter) so I wasn't planning on having it plugged in when looking at it though I assume that is fairly unavoidable for diagnostics.

I was sort of hoping this was a common problem but figured I couldn't get that lucky :)
We've got a dozen Atomic 3000, IIRC and we've repaired 2. One needed the xenon tube replaced but the other.. I just can't remember.

I suggest a call to Martin on Monday.

Same lamp 120v/240v.
Not according to the current manual:

The auto-ranging power supply automatically adjusts to AC power from 100-120 and 200-240 volts nominal at 50/60 Hz. However, a MAX-7 lamp must be installed at 100-120 V and a MAX-15 lamp for must be installed at 200-240 V.

I could have sworn that they did not have an auto-ranging power supply. It has been several years since I have had to use the Xenon lamp version, and memory is hazy... or it may have been an earlier hardware version.
-Todd

We've got a dozen Atomic 3000, IIRC and we've repaired 2. One needed the xenon tube replaced but the other.. I just can't remember.

I suggest a call to Martin on Monday.
Does Martin actually give that kind of tech support? This unit is fairly old (if I had to guess given the LED versions have been out for a while now) and I can't imagine they have techs that will help you troubleshoot like that outside of the standard Apple'equse answer of, "it needs a new motherboard".

Apple is different than entertainment industry for tech support workers given such a change of company employment often would require a commute to another far away country in manufacturing the fixtures, or leaving their skill set/experience base.

I don't think there is as much movement about in theatrical gear tech support, other than from the brand to brand to sales rep. type - office types I have seen where one widget is like another movement. Tech support - the day to day work force is still there under my impression. I'm after 21 years where I work & still around now as a PPE shipping clerk. Our electronics repair department head has been with us around 13 years and supervised this fixture repair over the years, his boss with the company longer than I at the company. If the head of repair doesn't know something, he has backup. His boss is also still working as the head of IT... and my computer caught a virus solving - as per me two weeks ago. Sounded like Fed Ex EZ tracking.... was difficult to remove.

I would suspect Martin still have tech support sufficient, or in quick contact... because if they don't you would be able to note it to other Harman/Martin customers say on a forum. If not, or if they are closed down as another possibility;
PM me and I'll forward you to our own tech repair chief, he is still tinkering about fixing lights or bagging PPE face shields - suspect he wouldn't mind being pulled off production line for a while as I don't mind being pulled off shipping clerk duties.

Get to do an install tomorrow!!! Lot of work, doing that 5 story chain lift elevator to the grid agian.... Get to get out of the shop...

Last edited:
Does Martin actually give that kind of tech support? This unit is fairly old (if I had to guess given the LED versions have been out for a while now) and I can't imagine they have techs that will help you troubleshoot like that outside of the standard Apple'equse answer of, "it needs a new motherboard".
I thought the Xenon units were not being made, but they are still listed on the current products pages of the Martin website, so it seems like they are still in production and should be supported by Martin or a local Martin dealer.
-Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

Back