Attaching rope along aircraft cable

I have 3 dead hung swings that are supported by our theatres I beams. The wire rope slings are 60 feet long and already made. Is there a way to attach 1/2” rope to the bottom 25 feet so that the rope doesn’t slip down the cable? I don’t want to damage the integrity of the 1/8” aircraft cable. Could simple cable ties work? Would saddle (Crosby,wire rope) clamps lower the breaking strength of the cable?

So the aircraft cable runs all the way from grid to swing seat, and you want to fake a natural fiber rope from the seat up to out of sight line, right? Best way would be to unlay your 3 strand rope and relay it over the cable, so the cable is in the middle, finish at the top with a hose clamp to keep it from sliding down.

Side note:
Moot point for you right now, but we've done swings and buy braided rope in desired color with a thimbled eye spliced into the end. Rig as desired.

side note 2:
You've got enough room to swing right? I've seen a swing rigged up so the girl was swinging SL to SR, had a clear lane, but was too close to the light pipe and fouled up focus on some fixtured when she started drifting up-down stage.

Last edited:
So the aircraft cable runs all the way from grid to swing seat, and you want to fake a natural fiber rope from the seat up to out of sight line, right? Best way would be to unlay your 3 strand rope and relay it over the cable, so the cable is in the middle, finish at the top with a hose clamp to keep it from sliding down.

Side note:
Moot point for you right now, but we've done swings and buy braided rope in desired color with a thimbled eye spliced into the end. Rig as desired.

side note 2:
You've got enough room to swing right? I've seen a swing rigged up so the girl was swinging SL to SR, had a clear lane, but was too close to the light pipe and fouled up focus on some fixtured when she started drifting up-down stage.
Doing it that way will make it look much more natural than just zip tying it on to one side. I would also say maybe add some sort of adhesive every feet or so just to keep it held. Maybe a hose clamp at the top.

Thank you so much! Yes, exactly, rope out of sight line. Thanks bobgaggle! Didn’t think of hose clamps.
Side note 1: nice, wish I had done that.
side note 2: yes, these are up to down stage in a natural gap in the line sets. I have a first electric that is downstage and too close for comfort. So I have stretched a “bumper line” from sr to sl from a mid rail, that is tightened with a come-along to protect the lights.
To Amiens: thank you for that as well! I have some clear, double sided tape that I could use. Thanks for the idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back