Audience blinder, LED or Conv.?

HTSL

Will LED Audience Blinders give the same effect as "conventional audience Blinders"?

The problem is when we go out to do shows we usually dont have the best power like in arenas so im trying to figure out which way to go and if the LEDs will save me power but still give me the same effect. Thanks

I've actually found LED blinders to be more effective. I think the narrow beam of LEDs helps focus the light better. I've had good luck with LED strips used as blinders. Plus the instant on instant off effect helps also, more of a surprise.

We just this past month found a LED blinder that we like. Really nice little unit and the first one we have seen that works like a conventional blinder. Before that I would have said go conventional. Now we go LED (about to put together a touring rig to replace our current one going from 400A 3 phase to 180A single phase).

Mike

Esoteric: Yeah I have been Researching a lot about the differences and I wanna get a word from someone that has used both. Is it a big difference because we use conventional blinders which are powered by a weak dimmer box that is held in the truss, but its not much powerful so we cant really leave it on for long or else the fuze goes out. Now that LED lighting is going BIG we want to switch to led blinders but want a good view of how they punch the crowd. Thanks BTW

See we do more of "Praise Music" concerts so we need more of a punch on the lead chorus and give the crowd a eye opener. I used the Martin Atomic Strobe before but it was just not what our company was looking for and its to harsh on the crowd. THanks

Too harsh on the crowd? What do you expect from BLINDERS? As for LED/Conventional, from a blinder perspective they both do the job. It just depends on what you want to accomplish. LED's can change color, so that's a good thing, but it's sometimes hard to achieve that 3200K look of conventionals. I wouldn't stress too much about it, just get what your budget, power availability, and ease of hang/strike will allow.

Esoteric: Yeah I have been Researching a lot about the differences and I wanna get a word from someone that has used both. Is it a big difference because we use conventional blinders which are powered by a weak dimmer box that is held in the truss, but its not much powerful so we cant really leave it on for long or else the fuze goes out. Now that LED lighting is going BIG we want to switch to led blinders but want a good view of how they punch the crowd. Thanks BTW

Look on our website and we have pics of them in action with a house of 400.

We use them for venues up to 1000 or 1500 and they easily have the blast to make an impression.

The only think I can see hating about LED blinders is the lack of amber drift. I love how a Molefay (or Par can) looks as it's ramping up or left at a glowing state between uses (probably more of a preheat function than anything, but it looks cool). I also like how slowly they fade out.

LEDs act more like a strobe light and if that's your thing, awesome.

I'll chime in as an audience member and not as an LD on this one--

As an audience member who values their eyesight- Please do NOT choose LEDs for audience blinders unless you plan to HEAVILY frost the beam. LEDs quite frankly SUCK when they hit your eyes. I came close to walking out of a few concerts where the LED movers panned the audience and harshly shown in my eyes. It's distracting, painful, and annoying. That ISN"T what you want the audience to be thinking about or experiencing. You want them focused on the show, and hopefully enjoying the show, not blinking, rubbing their eyes, and cussing out whichever @#$% designer chose to shoot LEDs at them like I was doing the entire time.

I've never been a fan of blinders. But if I have to use them, I'd prefer a conventional source. There are several blinder type effects that aren't standard Mole looking blinders. Depending on your needs/budget/etc. you might find some of them. ADJ or Elation used to sell a mini-brite or something that was pretty decent. I don't know what's out now, but I'll bet you could find something cool.

Last edited:

As an audience member who values their eyesight- Please do NOT choose LEDs for audience blinders unless you plan to HEAVILY frost the beam. LEDs quite frankly SUCK when they hit your eyes. I came close to walking out of a few concerts where the LED movers panned the audience and harshly shown in my eyes. It's distracting, painful, and annoying. That ISN"T what you want the audience to be thinking about or experiencing. You want them focused on the show, and hopefully enjoying the show, not blinking, rubbing their eyes, and cussing out whichever @#$% designer chose to shoot LEDs at them like I was doing the entire time.

Although the sources are certainly different, I can't say that even as an LD I find LED sources any more annoying than arc sources when panned over the crowd. As far as the LED coops we use, there is almost no difference visually between them and a traditional coop.

The only think I can see hating about LED blinders is the lack of amber drift. I love how a Molefay (or Par can) looks as it's ramping up or left at a glowing state between uses (probably more of a preheat function than anything, but it looks cool). I also like how slowly they fade out.

LEDs act more like a strobe light and if that's your thing, awesome.

See, our units are color tuned to mimic that warm, soft beam of a traditional blinder and can be faded out VERY slowly.

When i think of a blinder I picture this
blinder+lights.jpg
Google Image Result for http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-p-gmiEdWeOg/UDqR_Dv5kKI/AAAAAAAAAiA/U9uoNd1AhHk/s1600/blinder%252Blights.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm with Mark, err on the side of frosted/diffused until you get a chance to be a punter at your own concert. You've got nothing to lose-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back