Audio Broadcast for Graduation Event

I pushed hard for an evening graduation, and have been shot down every time - they really want it midday. What IT has considered "bright enough" is laughable - I think the largest we currently have is 3000 lumens, and I have been denied funding every time I have tried to upgrade.

Unfortunately also no drive-in theatres... I'm near Plattsburgh, so nowhere near Syracuse.

I entirely expect that the video is going to be too expensive - my only saving grace is the fact that there isn't much else that can happen right now, so maybe I might get a deal on equipment literally gathering dust.

We have done the official photographs in the past - I *hope* they intend to do the same this year, but the reality is family's are going to take pictures too - they always do. The idea of a couple of fm modulators mounted high up is interesting though - I might have to try that out. Thankfully we have two months; unfortunately we are far, far upstate New York - basically in Canada.
Worry not @urban79 As long as your TX's are above lil' Donnie's walls, gravity will carry them down deep into his side.
I'm confident @Ben Stiegler will confirm this.
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Our schools are desperately trying to figure this out for our seniors as well. Right now anythings on the table.
We have 5 high schools that are recording video of principal, valedictorians, and others in front of our stage curtian. This will be on a per appointment, social distance, sanitation and PPE. These will be sent to a photo contractor who will merge senior year book photos and names. Also add archive video of band and choir with songs.
Basically every element of the Graduation except real people walking isles and families in the seats. This will be sent free to all seniors in May. A real ceremony is rescheduled for mid July subject to government rules.

A friend asked me similar question last week. Maybe the question has been answered already but here are my thoughts (please feel free to disagree if you think any of what I've written is incorrect or wrongheaded):

There are FM transmitters that are FCC Part 15 compliant (I could be wrong but I believe there is a badge on the unit or documentation that comes with it, with a traceable number).

1). The units I found in this realm were made by Broadcastvision (FM2001, FM3001) and Decade (MS-100). The Decade unit is more expensive. You might have to look to find them because many are sold out. You might find one or two on eBay.

2). BroadcastVision does not make the FM series any more, they have a new unit, the AXS-FMTD. It is now out of stock according to their website. https://broadcastvision.com. Just a week ago or so they had 70 in stock.

3). Rolls makes an FM transmitter - the HR70. It can be ordered at B&H and maybe other online music retailers. From everything I've read, it does not appear to be FCC Part 15 compliant. Also sold out.

4). Ramsey Electronics used to make them, fully assembled and in kits. The FCC took them off the market. You may still be able to find them on eBay. Several of the devices exceeded the legal output. Can't buy new from distributor any longer.

5). Units on amazon.com and eBay are available that are manufactured in China. They look exciting, and have several output power selections - under names like Lewong, HLLY, Retekess, NIORFNIO, etc. But, I cannot see how they would comply with FCC rules are they are even higher power than the units previously mentioned.

I wonder if several BroadcastVision AXS-FTMD devices spread around the area and positioned up high set to the same broadcast frequency would do the trick. It would be a pain to get the audio distributed to the different units but it could be done.... maybe audio over CAT5?

This might be an online streaming option for you. It doesn't help too much if your listeners don't have an iPad, iPhone or Android device, but it may be an option and there is a free trial.

Aside from the free trial, the most basic plan is $10/month for 3 hours per day plan.

Definitely following this! Trying to work with the city now to come up with a solution for our kids- I know a Drive-In solution was suggested by the state

A friend asked me similar question last week. Maybe the question has been answered already but here are my thoughts (please feel free to disagree if you think any of what I've written is incorrect or wrongheaded):

There are FM transmitters that are FCC Part 15 compliant (I could be wrong but I believe there is a badge on the unit or documentation that comes with it, with a traceable number).

1). The units I found in this realm were made by Broadcastvision (FM2001, FM3001) and Decade (MS-100). The Decade unit is more expensive. You might have to look to find them because many are sold out. You might find one or two on eBay.

2). BroadcastVision does not make the FM series any more, they have a new unit, the AXS-FMTD. It is now out of stock according to their website. https://broadcastvision.com. Just a week ago or so they had 70 in stock.

3). Rolls makes an FM transmitter - the HR70. It can be ordered at B&H and maybe other online music retailers. From everything I've read, it does not appear to be FCC Part 15 compliant. Also sold out.

4). Ramsey Electronics used to make them, fully assembled and in kits. The FCC took them off the market. You may still be able to find them on eBay. Several of the devices exceeded the legal output. Can't buy new from distributor any longer.

5). Units on amazon.com and eBay are available that are manufactured in China. They look exciting, and have several output power selections - under names like Lewong, HLLY, Retekess, NIORFNIO, etc. But, I cannot see how they would comply with FCC rules are they are even higher power than the units previously mentioned.

I wonder if several BroadcastVision AXS-FTMD devices spread around the area and positioned up high set to the same broadcast frequency would do the trick. It would be a pain to get the audio distributed to the different units but it could be done.... maybe audio over CAT5?
Distributing audio to mult head-ends is often done using a wireless-mic-in-reverse approach - feed a padded line level into a beltpack, then tune multiple receivers to the same transmitter and put them next to the destination devices. Someone earlier noted that you do not want to set mult transmitters to the same freq - multi-path distortion issues on steroids would result - but instead choose far apart empty frequencies and publicize both - attendees can try each and settle on the strongest one.

Distributing audio to mult head-ends is often done using a wireless-mic-in-reverse approach - feed a padded line level into a beltpack, then tune multiple receivers to the same transmitter and put them next to the destination devices. Someone earlier noted that you do not want to set mult transmitters to the same freq - multi-path distortion issues on steroids would result - but instead choose far apart empty frequencies and publicize both - attendees can try each and settle on the strongest one.

I had briefly thought multi path might be an issue, that's a good strategy. Thanks for mentioning that.

So we just got word that they are shooting for a summer date at our stadium. I'm tasked with designing the system to work with that. I really can't fathom that they'd let a couple thousand people gather together inside a facility like that anytime soon, but we'll see.

My first suggestion would be to hit up any outdoor movie companies. Many offer FM broadcast capabilities, and can deal with licensing on their end. They may also have video wall trucks for your video elements. Random googling brings up FunFlicks and Ultimate Outdoor Entertainment. but I've never used any of them.

Second suggestion would mirror what others have suggested re: a multi-pronged approach. Buy a cheap FM transmitter (or 10 at different frequencies!), tell people to try that. Also stream it over the internet, and if you have the infrastructural capabilities, install wifi around your venue and use a product like Listen Everywhere, WaveCAST, or MobileConnect.

If you can get prerecorded speeches, you could just push them out to all participants and then signal them when to play them.

If you've got the audio gear on hand, you can just blast the area.

I look forward to hearing about your turnout. I'm pretty sure my university has opted for the online option, and will invite graduates to a separate ceremony when this all dies down. Glad to not have to worry about THAT!

My first suggestion would be to hit up any outdoor movie companies. Many offer FM broadcast capabilities, and can deal with licensing on their end. They may also have video wall trucks for your video elements. Random googling brings up FunFlicks and Ultimate Outdoor Entertainment. but I've never used any of them.

Second suggestion would mirror what others have suggested re: a multi-pronged approach. Buy a cheap FM transmitter (or 10 at different frequencies!), tell people to try that. Also stream it over the internet, and if you have the infrastructural capabilities, install wifi around your venue and use a product like Listen Everywhere, WaveCAST, or MobileConnect.

If you can get prerecorded speeches, you could just push them out to all participants and then signal them when to play them.

If you've got the audio gear on hand, you can just blast the area.

I look forward to hearing about your turnout. I'm pretty sure my university has opted for the online option, and will invite graduates to a separate ceremony when this all dies down. Glad to not have to worry about THAT!
blasting the area ... hmm. Only if people are sitting on the hoods of their cars, or tailgating. But either way, think about thousands of nice curved windshields (front and rear) reflecting especially the high frequencies all over the place. Could be an interesting effect!

We have one of the few drive-in theaters left in America and I think they've removed their post speakers and use LPFM (maybe a buried loop).

I think it's possible to have a 'live' graduation in such an environment if there is cooperation from everyone involved. Knowing human nature and teenagers (who are not yet fully human), it's a dicey proposition.

FCC Part 73 has no licensing provision for outdoor movies or drive in theaters. If they use more power than Part 15 allows, or modify the antenna of a certified transmitter, they are breaking the rules.

Have the "People-in-Charge" done their math. My high school considered a drive-in style event, but with only 250 grads it would mean EIGHT HOURS (at the very best) of kids getting out of cars and walking across the stage.... and that didn't even account for a possible prank or two.... still looking for ideas

Here is a link that should solve the virtual graduation. I just got off a big Zoom meeting with a large school district that is using this. The big plus is the students submit to them, they screen, they compile, all we will need to do is record and submit the Keynote speeches. OH Yeah, and the back up date for a real graduation was just canceled as well. So this is all the Seniors will get.

Check This video out

So we are going with the radio station broadcast, and the plan is to have waves of students come through so the line is never too long. At 140 graduates, we're anticipating it taking about 4 hours. We won't live stream, but rather package a video for release after giving us some time to produce it. We shall see what happens - I'm curious to hear how everyone else's experiences go!

We have one of the few drive-in theaters left in America and I think they've removed their post speakers and use LPFM (maybe a buried loop).

I think it's possible to have a 'live' graduation in such an environment if there is cooperation from everyone involved. Knowing human nature and teenagers (who are not yet fully human), it's a dicey proposition.
There's a surprising number still left, they've had a small resurgence in the last decade or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back