Audio Filter Help

I was wondering if anyone knows what the filter is called when a singer or person speaking sounds like their coming over a radio or CB. An example of what I mean is used in the beginning of Valkyrie Missile by Angels and Airwaves. If their isn't a filter that creates that effect does anyone know how to create it?:neutral:

I was wondering if anyone knows what the filter is called when a singer or person speaking sounds like their coming over a radio or CB. An example of what I mean is used in the beginning of Valkyrie Missile by Angels and Airwaves. If their isn't a filter that creates that effect does anyone know how to create it?:neutral:
Create it on what?

If you just mean the tinny radio voice, turn down the bottom third and top 25% of your EQ all the way down. Makes it sound like a small cheap radio.

If you just mean the tinny radio voice, turn down the bottom third and top 25% of your EQ all the way down. Makes it sound like a small cheap radio.

I've done this before, and for the effect I had to make the voice sound a slight bit distorted too, so I put the gain on my external EQ for that channel all the way to full, so that it overdrove the signal just slightly, and then sent that back in to the mixer.

Well I use Audacity but that has an EQ in that so I will try it out. If anyone has anymore suggestions with audacity then go for it.

I have heard of using guitar distortion. The other possibility is just using a real radio, and hooking up headphones output to a recorder or something...

But, I myself am curious if there is another program besides protools that can do that effect. (...one that is free...?)

try a bandpass filter with a 2K wide setting. That is what most "voice" bandwidth is for radio and telephone if I recall. Might have to slide it up and down the frequency range to get the desired effect. That and add in some white noise. If you are looking for old AM radio sound, try recording some audio from an old radio and tune around a bit. That mixed in might help your effect. There is also several "tuning" sound effects floating around out there. And as always, if you know a ham radio operator, they might be able to record you some MF or HF noise to add to your effect.

kw

It might be a little wider than 2kHz, but that should work. Personally, I prefer to use separate high and low pass filters rather than a band pass so that they can be set and adjusted independently, but the net result is the same. Adding distortion can emulate someone talking too close to the mic and/or overloading the front end that happens too easily in real life. Many CBs and walkie-talkies as well as broadcasts also use compression to reduce the dynamics, so you might want to add some as well. You might even add some low level noise so it doesn't sound too 'clean'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back