Audio Lesson Plan

Kelvi

Just transferred into teaching high school this year after 25+ years working professionally as a BA, LD, Production Manager and Venue Operations Director. I am getting ready to start a sound module for my basis tech. I students. Unfortunately, I was blessed with always having fabulous sound and video personnel who I worked with professionally which kept me form having to keep up with much in that area of tech. Right now, I am wanting to find a video that I can have my students team up and create sound effects for. I wondered if anyone had any ideas for silent videos that have creative opportunities for effects? This is a general education class, so my goal is not to create sound engineers, but to lead these students to appreciate and recognize the elements of technical theatre and how they are used to artistic effect. Any ideas for video would be greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions for additional lesson plans in sound and video. Thanks in advance!

Just transferred into teaching high school this year after 25+ years working professionally as a BA, LD, Production Manager and Venue Operations Director. I am getting ready to start a sound module for my basis tech. I students. Unfortunately, I was blessed with always having fabulous sound and video personnel who I worked with professionally which kept me form having to keep up with much in that area of tech. Right now, I am wanting to find a video that I can have my students team up and create sound effects for. I wondered if anyone had any ideas for silent videos that have creative opportunities for effects? This is a general education class, so my goal is not to create sound engineers, but to lead these students to appreciate and recognize the elements of technical theatre and how they are used to artistic effect. Any ideas for video would be greatly appreciated, as well as any suggestions for additional lesson plans in sound and video. Thanks in advance!
Calling @TheaterEd
Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

The first thing that pops into my head is selecting (clips from) one of the early silent comedies, such as Buster Keaton's or Charlie Chaplin's or Harold Lloyd's. Bonus points for their being in the public domain.

(There is of course a whole lot more to sound tech than sound design alone!)

I use short scenarios without the video. Like...

Interior of a house. Raining. A radio plays jazz lightly in the background. We hear a car arrive outside arriving from left to right. The occupant turns the car off, gets out, and walks to the front door of the house. The door opens, then closes as the person enters. Footsteps are heard walking to the radio. The radio clicks off. The person walks to an interior door, opens it. Two shots are heard.

Interior of a fancy restaurant. Pleasant conversation. Music begins to play. Two glasses clink in a toast. Suddenly a large tray of dishes falls. Music stops and conversation dies. A bit of laughter. Some idiots applaud in the background. The atmosphere gradually returns to normal.

City exterior. Light rain. Softly, a television is heard in the distance. Thunder is heard several miles away. Storm gets stronger and stronger. A person runs past right to left to get out of the rain. There is a huge lightning strike of an electrical tower. A blackout. Only rain is heard. A distant ambulance passes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back