Audio Power Distribution

Discussion in 'Sound, Music, and Intercom' started by LPdan, Sep 16, 2019.

1. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
    RonHebbard likes this.
  2. StradivariusBone

StradivariusBone Custom Title Fight Leukemia

Facility Manager/TD
    So this is a DL32 box on stage and we're running the AES50 leg on Cat5e UTP. I haven't had any issues with the clock dropping out, but I admittedly haven't spent much time learning about AES50, so google led me here- http://www.aes-media.org/sections/u...lker - Applications in Live Convert Sound.pdf

Interesting stuff! I didn't realize how different from IP this is, I mean beyond the fact that you can't just hook up a Linksys router to it. It uses pairs 3 and 4 for the clock sync, but that PDF doesn't specify anything about using shielded cable. Some more Googling led me to understand that this is a later development? I wonder if just the fact of using all 4 pairs doesn't induce the likelihood of crosstalk as opposed to vanilla IP stuff? I'm guessing this is like running DMX on mic cable, it's a "it works until it doesn't" situation?

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard and StradivariusBone like this.
  4. StradivariusBone

Facility Manager/TD
    Some light reading lol! Thanks for the insight, I'll check it out.

RonHebbard likes this.
  5. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

I doubt the Space Coast ever has much trouble with static electricity. Humidity tends to prevent that.

If the cable is in conduit or permanent installed, it also isn't generally a problem. The static problem shows up when the cable is run across carpeted floors, gets walked on or rolled over, or gets mechanically abused.

RonHebbard likes this.
  6. StradivariusBone

Facility Manager/TD
    That might explain most of why this is news to me. It's in an underfloor conduit that is mostly empty (shared with a Dante run and a DMX run) and we get static electricity here for about a week in February when the humidity goes slightly under 80%.

RonHebbard likes this.
  7. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  8. StradivariusBone

Facility Manager/TD
    So in that circumstance the static discharges along the mic cable to the console and the chassis of the device? And it propagates into the AES cable along the clock pairs in absence of a properly grounded shield? I'm not an electrical engineer, but it would seem like there should be a way to prevent that. I'm not too far into that ProSound thread though, sorry if it's answered there. I'm just really fascinated by this failure mode.

RonHebbard likes this.
  9. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

StradivariusBone likes this.
  10. StradivariusBone

Facility Manager/TD
    I might have to crack mine open and look at how they laid out the board around that interface connection. This is really wild. I'd never heard of this before, but am new to the world of X/M32. I wanted to get a SQ7 lol. Thanks again for the information and the history!

RonHebbard likes this.
  11. FMEng

The good news is the X32 works very well with the correct cable and connector. It really isn't a big deal.

12. StradivariusBone

Facility Manager/TD
    I'm most familiar with the A&H digital boards and really like them and how they structure their workflow. I've got to say though, the M32 has grown on me. It's definitely a bit more rigid and utilitarian in some ways, but it still gives you a lot of features for the price and sounds about as good as the GLD I use at my main gig. I think the occasional hate thrown at these boards is somewhat unwarranted. It's a solid tool for the application.

Here's a question- The M32 Live seems to be only different from the vanilla M32 in superficial appearance and the fact that you get that interface card bundled with the console. Is there any difference regarding this AES static thing? I'll be interested to see if we eventually start having the ESD problem. Humberto just pulled all the humidity out of the state and as I left my house this morning I was greeted by what we call "fall" in Florida. It was still in the upper 70's despite being after sunrise and I wasn't immediately drenched after the short walk down my driveway from the humidity. Also there was a slight breeze that didn't feel like an old man yelling in my face. Static may well be incipient.

And sorry to OP and all for this thread hijack. I hope it's an interesting enough rabbit hole to warrant the side-jog.

RonHebbard likes this.
  13. FMEng

AFAIK, both consoles are the same in terms of the AES50 interface. The M32 has better faders and slightly different preamps. "Live" simply bundles the multi-track SD card recording. It would be nice if they were more clear about that in the marketing.

RonHebbard likes this.
  14. TimMc

TimMc Well-Known Member

RonHebbard likes this.
  15. jonliles

jonliles Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

Davenport is at 65% right now. Down right desert like for that part of FL

StradivariusBone likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice