Audio-Technica System 10 Pro Digital Wireless - Question

NeroCaesar

I am in a scramble to replace my 600mhz AT mic system

I was looking at the new
Audio-Technica System 10 Pro Digital Wireless

but it says that only 5 Receivers can be linked together, so I will only be able to use 10 mics at a time.

What would happen if I had 5 receivers linked and then another 5 receivers linked in the same space? Would they over lap and interfere? my space currently used 16 mics and it would be great to keep that number.

Thanks,
-Greg

My experience with 2.4gHz wireless microphone systems has been overwhelmingly negative. If A-T says only 10 mics at a time, believe them.... and look at their spec sheet for the condition of "with no interfering signals."

I have used the similar Sennheiser system for a corporate presentation audience Q&A. Of the 8 mics that were supposed to work, only 6 could be in simultaneous use. Once the client's audience arrived (with a 2.4gHz radio in every pocket) we effectively had 3 usable mics for 900 potential questioners. I was the venue A1, it was my job to help the AV contractor set up their stuff and I was glad to not be the person to answer to the unhappy client.

YMMV, etc, but I'd not put my professional reputation on the line with 2.4gHz mics.

I wouldn't use 2.4GHz. In a classroom or corporate application it's not terrible, but put 500 people in a room with their tablets, phones, and laptops, and 2.4GHz microphones will experience dropouts from all of the RF congestion.

hmmm good points, I was hoping... With a school theater of 300 seats I could see the 2.4 being congested. I was Hoping that if people are connecting to the wifi router they wouldnt interfere with the mics...

I agree with TimMc. My experience thus far unfortunately pretty negative. I just did 11 shows with a Sennheiser D1 2.4GHz system of 12 units. With a full house, I encountered dropouts, situations where actor goes onstage and the pack is not transmitting and then suddenly decides it wants to work 3 seconds later (after the actor has left the stage and delivered their one line haha) - and the occasional audio signal that sounds like bad cell phone reception. After numerous attempts to find the problems in their otherwise pristine system install, I am left with the opinion that it's better for professional situations to stick with UHF over 2.4GHz. Unless, of course, you have direct and absolute control over the wireless environment the system is used in.

With regard to the System 10 Pro, I notice they provide a way to remote the antennas out with CAT5 to put the receiver's antenna on the wall up to 300 feet away from the receiver. That's kind of a nice feature, but one has to wonder the real motives why that feature was included.

To answer your question:

IMHO, I hope someone will prove me wrong but I don't think I would personally take the chance on using two System 10 configurations at the same time. Or, the System 10 plus another 2.4GHz wireless system from another mfr in 2.4GHz range. If they are anything like the Sennheiser D1, the number of digital mic "channels" at 2.4GHz is somewhere between 11 and 16, and the system may be designed such that it wants to arrange to keep a backup channel free just in case of problems. I remember reading the D1 system scans the area many times per second and reassigns channels depending on whose signal is weak or strong, needs bandwidth, etc.. I speculate A-T's system might do something similar. Each "system" uses the band between 2.4-2.5GHz. If you run a second 2.4GHz system, they might fight each other but just in case you should confirm with A-T.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back