Audio Tutorials - fav links

I'll add Live Sound Reinforcement to the book club list. I got it for Christmas. I'm most of the way done with it and I've found that it's slightly out of date in that it doesn't deal with DSP and barely scratches the surface of line arrays, however the fundamentals of sound, acoustics, and psycho-acoustics that it deals with haven't changed much over the years. It was even reasonably cheap from Barnes and Noble in paperback.

I'll add Live Sound Reinforcement to the book club list. I got it for Christmas. I'm most of the way done with it and I've found that it's slightly out of date in that it doesn't deal with DSP and barely scratches the surface of line arrays, however the fundamentals of sound, acoustics, and psycho-acoustics that it deals with haven't changed much over the years.
This is an ongoing issue with many technical books. For example Phil Giddings Audio System Design and Installation is a classic book that is out of print. However, despite the Author and others wanting to offer an updated version, the publisher apparently has no interest unless it dramatically changes. It seems that his only real choice is to write an entirely new book and take it to another publisher, but he would have to be very careful about not violating copyright on any of the existing book content, so that would be difficult to do. So we end up paying more for used versions than it cost when new and trying to hand them down within the industry.

Which of these books would you recommend first for a novice like me?
What you will find is that there are resources addressing the technical aspects of audio and audio systems and there are resources that focus on the use and operations of systems. There is great overlap between the two but the issue is which is your priority. Maybe an analogy is that someone can design a mixing console without ever having mixed while someone else can mix without understanding any of the electronics of the console. Knowing at least some of both sides can lead to the best result but which aspect would you focus on first?

Probably the most widely recommended first book for live sound in general is the Yamaha Sound Reinforcement Handbook. It addresses the technical aspects but on a more general level and not in the detail of some of the other technical resources.

Does anyone have the interactive mic thing from the OP that link doesn't work

That Simple Feedback Trainer is AWESOME!
I have been wanting something exactly like that for a LOOONG time. Thank you very much:p

Since ProSoundWeb was mentioned several times, might I also suggest:
Sound Forums Network - The Front Page
Very similar, with many of the same people. Sometimes it is more active. In fact, that is where someone mentioned CB as a great resource, that is how I found my way here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back