The above Ad will no longer appear after you Sign Up for Free!

Auditorium House Light Lamp Replacement Advice

Discussion in 'Stage Management and Facility Operations' started by Stan Longhofer, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:58 PM.

1. Stan Longhofer

Stan Longhofer Member

We are getting ready to replace the lamps in the house lights of our high school auditorium. We considered replacing the fixtures with an LED system, but that seems to be out of our budget right now. So for now we are planning on replacing the existing (mostly dead) halogen lamps with new halogen lamps.

Before we pull the trigger, should we consider replacing them with LED lamps instead? Details of the current install are below, but my concerns would be (1) will we have a good dimming with LED lamps in conventional fixtures, and (2) can we even get LEDs that would have the same specs (lumens, color temperature, etc.).

Details on current install:
    • 30 Pendant fixtures (Rambusch PD-60-250Q) with 250w USHIO frosted mini-can screw base lamps (E11 base, T4 shape)
    • 18 pendant fixtures (Rambusch PD-60-500Q) with 500w USHIO frosted mini-can screw base lamps (E11 base, T4 shape)
    • 26 track mounted fixtures (Rambusch BL-SA-300/500-Par56-IY) with Par 56Q 500w 30 degree WFL lamps (G16d base)
    These fixtures are wired to 18 different 20-amp dimmers. If we found the right LED lamp replacements, I've been told we could re-seat these circuits to use only a few dimmers, and that this would help with the dimming curve on the LEDs.

Labor is the biggest cost of replacing the lamps because of the difficulty getting to the fixtures (there is no way to bring in a large boom lift.)

My questions may be moot, because I've not been able to find LED lamps that would fit these fixtures with anywhere near the same lumens. But perhaps all of you will have better suggestions for me, and I wanted to ask before we spent the money on halogen replacements.

2. FMEng

FMEng Well-Known Member Fight Leukemia

LEDs lamps that would fit and put out a similar amount of light are just not available. If you want to extend the life of the halogens, don't run them up to full brightness. Keeping them dimmed 10% will imultiply their lifespan by several times.

RonHebbard likes this.
  3. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    These would come close to meeting your requirements: http://www.cantousa.com/retro/ I have seen them with the typical mini-candelabra base. I believe if gave them the above details, they could quickly give you a quote and explain modifications. These should make rewiring necessary. Near very good dimming - IIRC they pop on a little after a long time out; and they may not bump black out - like the last 10% is a quick fade. Or they may have overcome those shortcomings. And they were pricey when they first came out.

Not sure they can do the PAR in the track, but that rambusch fixture was nearly the standard in theatres and churches. I laid out and specified hundreds, before the ETCS4PAR, and I know they do those. You will have to access to install of course.

If you contact them, please report what you find out. I know my research is a couple of years old.

PS: Possibly some thought required if some of these are used for emergency.

PSS: Simplest replacement would be ETC GDS cylinders and their wireless mesh system. Great performance. Pricey still. Any other replacement I know of requires wired data - not awful but another impediment.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018 at 2:28 PM
  4. Stan Longhofer

Stan Longhofer Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I will investigate.

By this I assume you mean that we would need to re-seat the circuits at the dimmer rack, not that we would need to re-run cabling to the fixtures themselves, correct?

5. BillConnerFASTC

BillConnerFASTC Well-Known Member Premium Member

Theatre Consultant
    You could just relamp. I am inclined to believe these would work as well 2 or 3 to a dimmer as they would loaded onto fewer dimmers, but worse case, yes, intercept the circuits and combine now many separate circuits to fewer. These are not your ordinary LED retrofit.

6. macsound

macsound Member

On a different thought process, keep your existing houselights as halogen, and get a couple big LED worklights and use those when there's no show going on.

In a large theatre I used to work in, there were almost 1000 Tivolite bulbs (before they were LED) so they were very strict about when the houselights were used. They had 8 scoops that were used as work lights and rehearsal houselights and the real houselights could only be used when there was an audience.

MPowers, RonHebbard and Jay Ashworth like this.
  7. Stan Longhofer

Stan Longhofer Member

That's a great idea, but in this case the auditorium is in fairly constant "audience" use with nearly daily school activities.

8. RickR

RickR Well-Known Member

Consultant
    "There's never enough money to do it right, but usually enough to do it over."

For a heavily used space I recommend waiting til the funds are available. Schools have enormous budgets but many demands on those $. It all a matter of priorities.