Auditorium House Light Lamp Replacement Advice

20-25'. Sorry.

That lens or glass disc was designed to tile or rotate and allow pole relamping. I was very familiar with it when tungsten halogen was the new thing. If you can get close to one see if it won't tilt on a kind of center axis but stay captive.

And if you call Rambusch, ask for someone that's been there a long time.

That rings an old bell! I think the glass disk is simply wider than the opening. A bit of a pain to get back in place, but they might have improved it since then.

A completely wildcard approach I have considered myself. Could you just abandon the current house lights completely and instead install a bunch of ETC ColorSource PARs over the house for a fraction of the cost? All you need is non-dimmed power and a dmx line. You would have very nice dimming curves and the ability to change the color of your house lights. Buying a large package I bet you can get them for less than $750 each.

Other than that I wouldnt touch the other advice here without a 205' pole. ;)

A completely wildcard approach I have considered myself. Could you just abandon the current house lights completely and instead install a bunch of ETC ColorSource PARs over the house for a fraction of the cost? All you need is non-dimmed power and a dmx line. You would have very nice dimming curves and the ability to change the color of your house lights. Buying a large package I bet you can get them for less than $750 each.

Other than that I wouldnt touch the other advice here without a 205' pole. ;)

At nearly half the lumens, you might not be happy. Plus you have all the work of changing existing for the CS. And if these are Rambusch, I'm guessing the aesthetics of the room we're not over looked. Not sure I'd like a CS against a designed ceiling near as much as a clean cylunder. Wagering this is not a POS low budget public school.

At nearly half the lumens, you might not be happy. Plus you have all the work of changing existing for the CS. And if these are Rambusch, I'm guessing the aesthetics of the room we're not over looked. Not sure I'd like a CS against a designed ceiling near as much as a clean cylunder. Wagering this is not a POS low budget public school.

It definitely depends on the space. I've got multiple catwalks over the house I could easily do the entire installation by myself. The catwalks also sort of hide the cans, so the audience wouldn't really see a difference other than a few more fixtures. Like I said it's definitely a wildcard idea, but depending on the space it might work pretty well.

A wild card idea might work here. Black pendant fixtures dropped from a black ceiling supported by black steel truss. Not sure anyone would notice. Might need more fixtures, but...

As I said, I welcome all ideas.

I dont know if your existing lights are used gor emergency by transfer but just be aware that plug and cord connected fixtures like the CS par cannot be used for emergency.

We are getting ready to replace the lamps in the house lights of our high school auditorium. We considered replacing the fixtures with an LED system, but that seems to be out of our budget right now. So for now we are planning on replacing the existing (mostly dead) halogen lamps with new halogen lamps.

Before we pull the trigger, should we consider replacing them with LED lamps instead? Details of the current install are below, but my concerns would be (1) will we have a good dimming with LED lamps in conventional fixtures, and (2) can we even get LEDs that would have the same specs (lumens, color temperature, etc.).

Details on current install:
  • 30 Pendant fixtures (Rambusch PD-60-250Q) with 250w USHIO frosted mini-can screw base lamps (E11 base, T4 shape)
  • 18 pendant fixtures (Rambusch PD-60-500Q) with 500w USHIO frosted mini-can screw base lamps (E11 base, T4 shape)
  • 26 track mounted fixtures (Rambusch BL-SA-300/500-Par56-IY) with Par 56Q 500w 30 degree WFL lamps (G16d base)
These fixtures are wired to 18 different 20-amp dimmers. If we found the right LED lamp replacements, I've been told we could re-seat these circuits to use only a few dimmers, and that this would help with the dimming curve on the LEDs.

Labor is the biggest cost of replacing the lamps because of the difficulty getting to the fixtures (there is no way to bring in a large boom lift.)

My questions may be moot, because I've not been able to find LED lamps that would fit these fixtures with anywhere near the same lumens. But perhaps all of you will have better suggestions for me, and I wanted to ask before we spent the money on halogen replacements.
Hi Stan, sorry I'm a little late to the party on this....There are indeed many LED houselight products currently available that will replace virtually any incandescent fixture you might run into....LED houselight fixtures into the 9,000 lumen and above range are pretty common place today....

You mentioned you are trying to replace Rambusch fixtures, and they have a neat little Twist-Loc feature for their trim rings that allow you to purchase a currently manufactured LED retrofit fixture in a variety of intensities and color temperatures, and use the existing collars installed in your ceiling....Depending on what year the original incandescent fixtures you're replacing were manufactured, you may or may not have to replace your ceiling trim rings...But if you do, it can all be done from above the ceiling so you don't have to use ladders / lifts / scaffolding to get to the finished side of the ceiling to complete the upgrade...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back