audrey 2

mcrockett

I will be directing a production of "Little Shop of Horrors" and want to have Audrey 2 played by a female actor on stage. Not the traditional "plant" with a voice offstage. An actress playing Audrey 2 as somewhat of a siren in some sort of costume. I know this has been done before and I do have some ideas swimming around in my head. Just wondering if anyone has seen or been involved in such a production and how you felt about it. Or if anyone might have any thoughts about how they would costume such a character.

An actress playing Audrey 2 as somewhat of a siren in some sort of costume.
The way the show is written, it would have to be costumeS. The plant has to grow in order to "eat Cleveland, and Des Moines, and Peoria, and New York, and THIS THEATRE". By the end of the play, the plant needs to be monster-like and fill as much of the theatre as possible. That's the central plot of the show. While I like the idea of your concept, I don't think it really fits the playwright's intent.

For the sake of those on a budget, we simply ignored the line about the plant eating the theater at the end of the show in our production. For the purists who know the show I'm sure it was a bit of a let down, but it was impossible for us to pull off due to low budget and extremely limited time in the performance space (I had 4 hours change over between the the final curtain of the matinee for another company's show and our first tech rehearsal beginning). I wish we could have done it, but it's a lot of extra work for a very brief joke.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back