Australian Connections

Yeah we are pretty lucky. There is a brand new amazing hall for the Opera and Ballet. An amazing symphony hall... the seats are acoustically treated so that the room sounds the same full or empty... and the floor of the stage is like a giant wooden soundboard to amplify the sound. The whole hall is actually floating on giant dampers to completly isolate it. The nicest theater in town is the Children's theater... let's put it this way, the shop is 3 stories tall and about 50X70 feet across and there is a separate shop of equal size for painting. The big adult theater which is about a 5 minute walk away has two theaters as well... and it's a 30 second walk to another large theater. There are three large rental theaters that do everything from one night top commedians to multi-week runs of Broadway touring shows. There are probably about a dozen theaters operations in the area that are moderate to large operations. Then there are easily another 20+ moderately sized community theater operations. Then the list gets a little weird and scary. There is one part of town that has dozens of weird little "theater companies"... it's all pretty weird fringe things but they are there. Then as you get out into the suburbs it all repeats. The big university in town has 3 or 4 theaters. There is a performing arts only college here... and a half dozen other smaller universities and colleges with decent theater programs. In addition to that there are two big outdoor summer concert facilities less than 2 hours away, and 5 large arena venues for everything from tractor pulls to U2 concerts.

Plus Hollywood loves us because within a 2 hour drive you can find almost every climate on Earth... from Fjords to Deserts we have them near bye.

Yeah we are pretty lucky.

nah the date that they require the crew for has passed

There is a really friendly puppeteer called Na who lives in Melbourne.

yes i have already come across them actually, the suggested i speak to a person from show tech, (name withheld)

but my question their arises, what should i write on the email

Along side of that is something I don't think you have, the Govt subsidised theatre, surviving because of huge funding subsidies from Government.
Yeah, shortly after the Federal Theatre Project got canceled due to them being called a communist organization people started wondering why we didn't have a government funded theatre project... well when it was voted on in congress it was attached to a larger form that had communism written all over it and no one knew that the Federal Theatre Project was a part of that.

So chances are that we will not be having a government funded theatre for a long time if ever in the US...

I would REALLY try to avoid e-mail. Go in person or call... you need a personal connection. Around here most of the people you would want to contact rarely read their e-mail. It's also too easy to say no by e-mail. If you are standing there in person saying, "Hi I'm willing to work for free." It's a lot harder for them to say no.

Nothing beats face to face, have your CV clutched in your hot sweaty paw and be prepared to back it up vocally. I once had a guy walk in off the street that I gave one days work to (i needed help) just to see how he worked out. When he finished school he ended up working for me full time. It can happen. But face to face is better.

Nothing beats face to face, have your CV clutched in your hot sweaty paw and be prepared to back it up vocally. I once had a guy walk in off the street that I gave one days work to (i needed help) just to see how he worked out. When he finished school he ended up working for me full time. It can happen. But face to face is better.

CV? Is that like a résumé?

Dave, can you perhaps install an AUS translator, or filter, or just ban any IP address from the 7th continent? (Kidding. ;))

Dave, can you perhaps install an AUS translator, or filter, or just ban any IP address from the 7th continent? (Kidding. ;))

Actually Charc you here "CV" here as well although it tends to only be used by rich snobby types... it's that British influence I suppose.

CV = Curriculum Vitae: (Latin) Literally "The course of one's life" a resume.

A classical eduction is a lovesome thing God wot.

i think he rite in wot he sayin

don't you upperstand engish?

Im sorry if you don't understnd the language Chaucer wrote in. I told you I was old.

Alright, sorry to have taken so long to get back to this... work and such are keeping me rather busy.

Union down here is NEVER official. There MAY be cases where a place is unofficially union, but to do so would be highly illegal.

Just a thought... is there a gang show or the like near you? It may only be a once a year thing, but they normally put out a call for volunteers...

gaff... your taxation system is much more conducive to companies donating to their heart's content and that I believe is a significant factor in the greater availability of facilities etc. over there...

Logos, I got what you mean... just because it works best with a Cockney accent is completely outside the point...

Charc, you could of course expand your mind and learn something from all the Aussie slang you get... We won't even charge you for teaching it... I don't think. :twisted:

Alright, sorry to have taken so long to get back to this... work and such are keeping me rather busy.
Union down here is NEVER official. There MAY be cases where a place is unofficially union, but to do so would be highly illegal.
Just a thought... is there a gang show or the like near you? It may only be a once a year thing, but they normally put out a call for volunteers...
gaff... your taxation system is much more conducive to companies donating to their heart's content and that I believe is a significant factor in the greater availability of facilities etc. over there...
Logos, I got what you mean... just because it works best with a Cockney accent is completely outside the point...
Charc, you could of course expand your mind and learn something from all the Aussie slang you get... We won't even charge you for teaching it... I don't think. :twisted:

Actually I took (read: was blackholed into) the "Australian Self Image" class at my school. Needless to say it was a small class. Six total. We were giving a sheet of "australian" slang, and had to use it in class and utilize it in written assignments. We read works by Australian authors, did research projects, etc. Myself and another techie would shout australian slang/insults at each other from across campus for the last few months of school...

Like? what slang

and add ideas on what to put in the email

I'd say you be right up front with them. You have some expirience, but you want more. Be right up front. Say, "hey, I'm not your run of the mill "free monkey", I could be a contender".
I always say BE UPFRONT. If they don't want you after you've been honest with them, then go somewhere else, or it's just not time yet. Personally I'd never turn down an oppurtunity , to bring in another intern.

Oh and as a side note CV and Resume' are not actually interchangeable, there are APA guidelines on both < American Psychological Association>
< don't ask me why but they are the authority on how to write anything in the research / information area>

C.V.'s tend to be chronological, longer, and a bit more detailed. Whereas you want a Resume' short and sweet a CV can be 5 pages or more.

That's Just my two cents worth

You're right Van, a CV is usually (but not always) used by top rank professionals or academics whereas us plebs use a Resume. In this country however I am finding the term CV coming inot more common use as obviously the term Resume is in the US. Different strokes ...

You're right Van, a CV is usually (but not always) used by top rank professionals or academics whereas us plebs use a Resume. In this country however I am finding the term CV coming inot more common use as obviously the term Resume is in the US. Different strokes ...

Good point. I've almost always seen CV's used in the corporate world. I think you're right though, the term CV is becoming synonymous with resume'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back