AutoCAD to VectorWorks

highschooltech

So i just had a venue packet mailed to me with a .dwg file of their rep plot. However, i don't use AutoCAD even though i have a copy from my fathers work and want to get the file to work with Vectorworks. I tried importing the files but the instrument blocks all import as separate lines. Am i doing something wrong of am i going to have to recreate the venues rep plot in VW with just the hanging positions.

No i need to be able to modify their rep plot for the show because of limited hang time on a small show.

It depends how the drawing was made in autoCAD. Odds are there is not really that much info in the blocks. If it was made with LD asst, then there could be some info there. Vectorworks might be able to re-associate the blocks, but it won't be easy. Really, unless you are really wanting to move stuff around, you are just going to have to live with the way its currently imported. AutoCAD and light plots do not get along well without LD Assistant.

Just a thought, but do you know that the venue made the plot in AutoCad? It's possible they just exported a dwg file, even though they use Vectorworks. Might be worth asking if you're not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back