Automated Fixtures, Foggers, and Dimmers

I beg to differ, semi-unrelated, but we were doing sound for an honor society induction and I decided that we should probably have a backup read just in case something crazy happens. Well, something crazy happened, and the back up that we tested didn't work. And the back up backup didn't work. We tried like 4 different cables before we got to one that worked.

Anything that plugs into the wall does have a mind of its own and has what it believes to be its right to not work at its discretion.

We once had a Whole Hog for an opera. We programmed the show and made two back ups. The console ate the show and both backup disks. Ever since then, I have always trouble shot boards before putting my backup in. Learned my lesson.

But I do love HES/Flying Pig error messages. Make you laugh while you are reprogramming an entire opera in half an hour before house opens.

Mike

PS Who is to say when something will fail. I had a DMX cable once function perfectly through sound check and rehearsal and in the middle of the concert I lose half the rig. Guess why? What we do is so uncertain and uncontrollable when I am wearing my tech hat, I hate to introduce ANY unnecessary uncertainty, even an extra 1%.

Ok, so I have until tomorrow morning to request a budget for this show. So I'm thinking run the cat 5 cable throught the drop celing backstage, which will definatly be easy enough. But what cable is what pin. I took a look at that pin-out but it doesn't expain which pin does what in a 5 pin XLR connector.

So I'm having trouble finding a rental store with MLs. I'm willing to go as far as Chicago to get what I need. I just need 2-4 movers. They dont even have to have color or gobo wheels (if something like that even exists). The whole problem is that we have this crappy little cafeteria (multi-useless room) and the row of ellipsodals is at the front of the house right above the end of the drop celing. The show I'm working on this for is a fashion show. We build a temproary runway that comes off of the front of the stage that comes out about 20ish feet. Thing is when the models walk down the run way there is no way for me to get light there. We use the follow spot but that just follows one model down the runway and then leaves him/her to follow the other. So that leaves the first just sitting smiling in the dark... which looks extremely stupid and unprofessional. I want to put the MLs at the back of the house and program them to follow the model down the runway and sit where they stand while the other model comes out (so 1-2 movers per model). Now the nice thing about the multi-useless room is that its made for lunch which means that it had different level tiers instead of a gently sloping floor. Around each tier exists a railing that I could potentially mount a conventional fixture on. I'm just worried that a clam would scratch the paint... and I really dont want to get on the wrong side of maintenence. So if anybody has any ideas about how to attach some lights without scratching the pain I'm open. Also what fixture would be best to use in this situation? A fresnal, a smaller can with some barn doors, or a small ellipsoidal (like a source 4 JR). I'm kind of thinking some source 4 Jrs with a couple fresnels for some general soft light on the whole runway.

So where can I rent movers and or conventional fixtures in the nothern Chicagoland area and do you have any ideas on prices for the ellipsoidals and movers?

...We use the follow spot but that just follows one model down the runway and then leaves him/her to follow the other. So that leaves the first just sitting smiling in the dark... which looks extremely stupid and unprofessional. I want to put the MLs at the back of the house and program them to follow the model down the runway and sit where they stand while the other model comes out (so 1-2 movers per model). ...
Perhaps renting another followspot would be a better solution? Having moving lights follow a performer is next to impossible. The performer must be trained to follow the lights, a task much easier said than done.

PM CB member len for recommendations on lighting rental vendors in the Chicago area. Also thelightguy87http://www.controlbooth.com/forums/members/thelightguy87.html and SAWYer.

Thats a pretty good idea. The problem of who is going to operate it then exists. Theres one girl thats been doing it for a couple years that knows what shes doing, and you think that its an easy task just about anybody could figure out, but every other person that I've had try it just cannot seem to get the fact that you have to keep it straight, not shake it, and actually move with it and not just move it. Its not just a one hand job, you have to move you entire body with it but highschool students just dont grasp that I suppose.

Thanks for the recommendations.

There are a 4 major lighting houses in the Chicago area. I will list them in order of the success I have had with them and their customer service

Intelligent Lighting Creations - Ryan Bundy has taken care of me and my space at the 11th hour more times than I would like to remember

Grand Stage - Good people and they know their Strand and VL. Even had an employee bring a board out to me on their way home in the back of their car so we didn't have to worry about shipping/trucking costs.

Design Lab - Had some good conversations with Mike Voss the GM at Theatre Festival this weekend and they may be working back up the list.

Chicago Spotlight

All 4 of them will be good to you and all 4 will have what you need.

Ok, so I have until tomorrow morning to request a budget for this show. So I'm thinking run the cat 5 cable throught the drop celing backstage, which will definatly be easy enough. But what cable is what pin. I took a look at that pin-out but it doesn't expain which pin does what in a 5 pin XLR connector.

Well to make it easy you will only need pins 1-3 on the 5-pin connector in your situation. As pins 4 and 5 are still not used to this day.

Pin 1 - White/Brown
Pin 2 - Orange
Pin 3 - Orange/White
Pin 4/5 - Leave Unconnected.

You can clip the rest of the wires in the cable as they will not be used.

As far as the DMX dscussion, well I have been doing this for over 10 years and have never had DMX issue during a live show. But my ways work for me and other peoples work for them so I want to leave it at that. As far as lighting rental places in Chicago, well there is also PRG Lighting which has anything you would ever want. However if you want to keep it simple I would use LED lights for some effects (if your looking for some color), and not use movers. LED's will be easier to setup and use and I would rent an additional follow spot or if you can use stands and portable dimmers and make a wash on the runway with source 4's.

. Now the nice thing about the multi-useless room is that its made for lunch which means that it had different level tiers instead of a gently sloping floor. Around each tier exists a railing that I could potentially mount a conventional fixture on. I'm just worried that a clam would scratch the paint... and I really dont want to get on the wrong side of maintenence. So if anybody has any ideas about how to attach some lights without scratching the pain I'm open.

If your railings are round pipes, you can use 2" pvc pipe sections. They should clip on there and you can put the C clamp onto that and the bolt should tighten into the plastic instead of your railings. They are used on truss as well for conventional lights sometimes, "Truss Protectors."

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back