Automated lighting instrument white noise

jyenish

Hello gang,

I'm running into mental block and I thought I would post my question to the greater wisdom of my peers.

I have recently acquired a Rosco x-24 x-effects projector. It is our first legitimate automated instrument with white noise issues. Does anyone have a good solution for dampening the noise while allowing the unit to hang as a standard instrument that will not cause the unit to over heat.

Jake

Hello gang,

I'm running into mental block and I thought I would post my question to the greater wisdom of my peers.

I have recently acquired a Rosco x-24 x-effects projector. It is our first legitimate automated instrument with white noise issues. Does anyone have a good solution for dampening the noise while allowing the unit to hang as a standard instrument that will not cause the unit to over heat.

Jake

Can you slow the fan down? This is one issue with using moving heads in theater: they have small jet engines to keep them cool. You might look at building an acoustical foam baffle backed on plexiglass or luan sprayed black and hung around 4 sides of the instrument (SL, SR, DS and Top) and see how that works?

Any good equipment designer doesn't choose a fan any larger than is really required for safe and reliable operation. At the least, slowing the fan down will shorten the equipment's life. At worst, you'll destroy it. Generally speaking, a quieter fan moves less air and/or is more affected by back pressure so there's no free lunch.

As Shiben suggests, the best idea is a baffle to absorb and block the sound. Just make sure that it doesn't doesn't trap heat, block convection, or prevent air movement around the unit.

The fan inside the unit might just need replacing, cheap bearing et al. Without hearing the noise it makes myself I can't really say (how white of white noise is this?), but in my experience (with medical equipment) 9 times out of 10 replacing the fan is easy, cheap, and effective. Make sure you match all the stats, of course.

Is it making white noise or is the fan just humming away happily?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back