Automated Fixtures Automated Lighting maintenance lubricants

spacecraft

What hardware-store lubricants would you recommend for maintaining automated lights? I dont want to be special ordering expensive lubricants if I dont have to. I would also imagine that the lubricant would have to be safe around high temperature situations and/or optical path (MSD 250). This lubricant would be for my Technobeams and Accu Scans. The areas of application would mainly be Focus sled, Iris, Rotating Gobo wheel gears, screw motors (for focus sled), and Pan/Tilt areas. Thank you

I don't believe most of those should need routine lubrication. Is there some issue that you're noticing? I know we've never lubricated our techno...

For the iris, use spray graphite only. The rest I don't know about, but I'd still have to say graphite on anything metal. Petroleum based lubricants tend to catch dust and gum up.

Last edited:
Unfortunately for you they don't call it "Million dollar lube" for nothing. If you're lubricating guide rods in moving lights you pretty much need to order the right stuff. Most manufactures have their own part number (and price) for it but it's pretty much all Barriera (possible spelling error, help anyone?) so I would buy from the dealer with the lowest price no matter what family of fixtures it's part number belongs to. I wouldn't recommend anything else, because many other lubricants start to fail in really undesirable ways when exposed to the temperatures inside a moving light. As an example I've seen lights light on fire and I've seen the lubricant expand and become really sticky requiring the replacement of pretty much everything it touched. Nether situation was a cheap fix.

Use the right stuff, it may be $80 for a 4 oz. tube, but it's money well spent. Also apply it sparingly and use a cotton swab to spread it and a single 4 oz. tube can go a really long way.

I second the million dollar lube. I buy mine through clay paky and it will last you hundreds of lights. Do not use any type of regular grease such as lithium. It works for a while but than turns very hard and freezes up everything. It is impossible to get off. I have tried running the whole optical slead of a light through a parts washer for 2 days straight and it didn't get it out. I even tried brake cleaner. It had to be replaced and ran about 350. A little dab of million dollar grease is much cheaper in the long run.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back