Autopoles for supporting lights

Lyle Williams

Does anyone have any experience using Manfrotto Autopoles (eg 032B) for supporting lights in temporary spaces?

How do they go? Do they need the supplementary tripod bases? How have you clamped lights to them?

Thanks

My only working experience with them was in retail spaces. From that experience and without specifics of your situation, I would generally say no. If they are tightly mounted between two solid fixed surfaces (Not floor and drop ceiling) then I might trust them with a little weight, but not much. Maybe a couple of par cans, preferably aluminum, on side arms or 't' attachments. Would never throw a S4 or anything of that weight on them.

I wouldn't rely on them for any lateral force, period. With the tripod attachment maybe but I'd be very careful that a kid or slight bump would tip the thing. Sandbags with tripods would be highly recommended.

If you are talking about using a c-clamp then the answer would be an overwhelming NO. if you were thinking of something like some birdies or or inkies, or something that can mount on a a small spud adapter like what is supplied with the autopoles then you might be ok, but as @Aaron Clarke just mentioned they are not intended for large lateral loads. I would consult with Manfrotto directly to avoid pole failure.

Just for clarity, we are all talking about using these in a vertical orientation (floor to ceiling). That is what they are designed for. Auto-poles are not really designed for use in a horizontal orientation. The primary function of auto-poles is to support backdrop systems for photo/video. This often includes supporting three rolls of seamless paper between a pair of poles. Rolls of seamless can be quite heavy, however the load is across two poles. You could probably get away with hanging a single fixture, even a source 4, on an auto-pole, but there are probably better solutions, and I would guess you want to hang more than one light.

I used to have a TON of them we used for Nike shows. They did have a little spud adapter for use with small photography/architectural lights, like "lowell's" for example. It was like a binder clip with little rubber feet in the jaws that would clamp onto the pole.the little arm had the 1/4"-3/8" spud on it. anything heavier than an inkie would have pulled the whole thing off. I would never use a fixture with a c-clamp to attach to an Autopole however, way too much chance of crimping the pole and ruining it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back