Aviom

GRCHSCAW

My church just got a new monitor system it is called Aviom. I have never heard of it. I was wondering what people thought of it? Also what are the advantages and disadvantages to this system? How dose the system work exactly and as a sound guy will it make it easer for me?

If its what I have heard about it you will be more than happy. Basically each musician has a floor board with groups they can pick so they can run monitors for themselves, you just run the groups I think. I haven't actually used one so I may be horribly far off on that, but I think that is how it works. I know Joel Osteen's church used Aviom. Anyway here is their website, I am sure you'll be able to find some more information there.

http://www.aviom.com/

Soundman there has it right. The Aviom system has a lot of advantages because each musician can mix whatever they want in there. This works particularly well with IEMs. I would NEVER put one with a wedge...thats a recipe for disaster there.

The idea is that you send submixes to each musician (ie: drums, horns, vocalists, guitars) and they can blend them in with their little station.

I think the greatest part is if the musician using Aviom misses a cue or something because they "couldn't hear it" it is their fault, not the monitor operator's.

One thing to beware of with the Avioms is that they do not automatically remember their settings when powered down. If you make any changes, you need to save them to one of the 16 presets before the unit is powered down, or it'll go back to the last recalled preset next time it powers up.

It does, however, automatically recall the last active preset, so you don't need to recall anything if you want the same mix you had last time, as long as you saved it after you made any changes.

--A

I've always thout that the soundpersons control over monitors helped sculpt the sound. giving teh musicians control over the monitors will eliminate the ability to make one person play louder by pumping theirs monitor with everyone else.

now this is sorta a theory, i don't know how well it actually works.

kingfisher1 said:
I've always thout that the soundpersons control over monitors helped sculpt the sound. giving teh musicians control over the monitors will eliminate the ability to make one person play louder by pumping theirs monitor with everyone else.

now this is sorta a theory, i don't know how well it actually works.

The musicians tell the monitor guy how much of something they want in their monitor. The Aviom just bypasses the monitor guy.

If one musician is rocking out a bit too much it is an option to put a compressor/limiter in their signal path to stop the rock before it gets too loud. Most amps have some output control on them anyway so one could turn the musician down there. Though the musician has control of their mix the audio guys still have the potential to take control of the level of the monitors in an attempt to keep the stage volume down to tolerable.

Wrong. Never put a compressor on a monitor. Musicians will try to fight the compressor, and the band will just sound like ****. Not to mention that the vocalist could loose their voice from trying to sing too loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess there could be an arguement both ways. I was thinking something with a low ratio so there wasn't too much compression going on, certainly less than noticable. That is a good point though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back