Avolite Personalities

kwotipka

Long story short, I had to do some tweaking on the raw personality file for an Avolite Diamond III console. Interesting way that they do that and disk directory structure. Do all consoles use similar systems for their personality files?

kw

The avo setup is very close to the hog as far as accessing the personalities. They elektralite CP-100 (am i the only one on here that uses this console?) is also similar. Oh ya, the ETC consoles along with the NSI crap is the same way. Basically all consoles use a text document to lay out the moving light personalities.

One nice thing about the text document structure is that it is a very quick process once you get the hang of it. They're also easy to pass around if you know someone who needs a personality for a fixture that you have.

I love the text based stuff. If you need a quick fix you can quickly load it into any computer and edit it. A good thing for LD's to keep in their bag of tricks these days is a USB floppy drive. Too many computer now do not have floppys and we are going to be still using them for quite a while.

Sorry, but I prefer getting my fixture personalities from the manufacturer's website, or users' forum. The last time I wrote a profile from scratch was in 2000 for the Expression3, using Expression Personality Editor. To me, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to maintain a database of all fixtures the console can control.

Sorry, but I prefer getting my fixture personalities from the manufacturer's website, or users' forum. The last time I wrote a profile from scratch was in 2000 for the Expression3, using Expression Personality Editor. To me, it is the responsibility of the manufacturer to maintain a database of all fixtures the console can control.

True, but often the profile information posted by the mfg. is written before the fixture's actual release, and changes tend to occur between documentation and implementation. So it's better to make it easy for end users to create and edit profiles, since they likely have the actual fixture in hand, rather than just a list of channel data which is notoriously inaccurate.

I also sometimes like editing the manufacturer's personality to suit my own tastes, mainly on ETC Express line. I have run into a few Hog personalities that I edited because of costume gobos and/or wrong labeling of gobos.

I do all of my own editing on our Hog 500. Its not hard at all once you get used to it.

hello to all lighters. I have a problem whit my avolite azure2000.Don't have any fixture library in it. i download pesonality files from avolite site and unzip on floppy,BUT WHAT NOW.
Please, H E L P

Last edited:
Hello and welcome! You have come to the right place, even if you did post to a 3 year old thread. :) So you went to the Avolites download page, selected the Azure as well as your fixtures, downloaded the file, unzipped it to floppy, and now you're stuck? Simply stick the floppy in the drive, make sure you're in program mode, hit the patch button, select Fixture (the Fixture and Dimmer buttons should be flashing) then select your fixtures. Choose whether you want to automatically create palettes (I usually opt to do it myself manually), type the DMX address, then select where on the console you want them. You can do one fixture at a time, but to save effort press and hold the first Swop button, press the last Swop button, then release both. Your fixtures will be patched to the first and last Swop and all between with each fixture being the immediate next DMX address available.

I just sold an Azure Shadow (now use a Pearl), so if you have any other problems feel free to post here or PM me. There aren't a lot of Avo folks around here, but the few that are are very knowledgeable and helpful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back