BA vs. BFA

My official degree is a BS in Theater Design/Production, not a BA. My current job the Production Manager, who hired me, said she would not look at anyone who did not have a degree in theater for the position.

Punktech does bring up a very good point. Almost more important than the type of degree is the school itself. When looking at schools, even if they have the top program in the country, you have to be able to see yourself fitting in there and being comfortable otherwise you won't learn. If you aren't going to be happy at a small school in the middle of nowhere in a hippie town, you probably don't want to go to a school like Ithaca. If you can't handle being in a big city, NYU or Emerson may not be for you.

You have to find a happy medium between the program and the school. One school's BA might be more in depth than another school's BFA. If you are getting a BS, well.... ;) You have to find what is most conducive to your learning style and your pace.

And the valid points continue. I'm gonna agree with Punktech and Icewolf, it most truly is the program. Not only the location of the chool, but do they have the classes you want to take, do they have the facilities you want to work in, and does the guy/girl ratio fit into your liking. Well, that's what I looked at when going into undergrad.

But seriously, visit the schools and get a sense of the program. Try not to just pick a school without checking it out. And try and get as much feedback from current students as possible. Not just one or two, but as many as you can to get a more even sampling.

this discussion brings up interesting feelings for me. i went to college a year and a half early and went to only strictly "early" college in the country (Bard College at Simon's Rock, or until this spring Simon's Rock College of Bard, stupid name change). i love it here, and that's primarily why i applied, i wanted nothing more than to be here when i was 16. i then wanted to be an antropology major, but to fill my arts requirement i took a harmless looking theatre course "Intro to Lighting Technology" and fell madly in love (i had been a child actress and always loved having the tech then teach me stuff, and i played around with satge management in highschool, but never thought of it as a career). my BA program isn't the best in the country, and i have to take mostly tutorials because we only offer a few actual courses. but i'm happy here and can't see myself liking any other college or university. i like my program too, it's given me much more hands on time and raw experience than the BFA program a friend of mine just graduated from. i like who is teaching me and i have a good rapport with them, my professors do more than just teach me, they offer advice for stuff i'm going though in my personal life even. i'm getting an incredibly well rounded education, i am not only growing in my knowledge of theatre, but i am growing as a person. to me this is what college is for, to make you into the adult you are going to be. a good program/school will do this for anyone. when looking at schools and their respective program think about what you want and how you want to be in 4 years, do you want a close relationship with professors, do you want the best facilites, what do you seek socially, do you want to be in small classes (in my opinion a very good thing, more attention and better discussion). think up a list of questions and answer them for every school you're looking at, look them all over, pick out the 5-10 closest to what you really want, and apply to them.

My response to him would be.

Are you really good at what you are doing... lights, sets, whatever? If you aren't really good and it doesn't come naturally to you, find something else to study.

If you are really good and you know you are without being arrogant about it, the degree won't matter, you will find work.

BA or BFA?

I have been debating the merits of a BFA versus a BA with one of my colleagues. He argues that a BA is more accepted by colleges seeking Masters candidates and I think that in tech theatre a BFA is more the norm. What is your experience? For those of you in academia I'd particularly like to hear your comments, especially if you evaluate grad students. For those of you out there humping it in the "real world" I'd like to hear yours too. Or, does a college degree matter? Before I say anything about what I think and what I have done I'd love some feedback on your opinions.

[Edit by mod.: This and the following three posts moved here from another thread.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BA or BFA?

Well I'm currently attending Cal State Fullerton to get a BA in Theatre emphasizing in design and production. However, while looking for programs i saw some BFA in design but most of the information i found was for BAs in Theatre with an emphasis. The only BFAs offered at Cal State Fullerton are in dance and acting but the students admitted into those aren't told until the end of their second year. Not really an answer to your question but just a personal insight from the student perspective.

Well I'm currently attending Cal State Fullerton to get a BA in Theatre emphasizing in design and production. However, while looking for programs i saw some BFA in design but most of the information i found was for BAs in Theatre with an emphasis. The only BFAs offered at Cal State Fullerton are in dance and acting but the students admitted into those aren't told until the end of their second year. Not really an answer to your question but just a personal insight from the student perspective.

Thanks for the feedback HST. Very helpful. I have to imagine that it's odd for there to only be a BA in dance and acting when design can require a lot of art classes. Anyway, should you find yourself in position of seeing "White Christmas" at Fullerton CLO you will be looking at one of our (Music Theatre of Wichita) sets out on rental.

Currently I am attending Central Washington University and enrolled in their BFA in design and tech. Personally I feel that if you want to go to grad school in a focus area (like an MFA in design tech) then you should do the same with a BFA. I love the BFA as it does really focus on your area of expertise as well it does give you experience in other area, for example all design tech students have to take an acting class. Idk thats just from my pov.

Here is an interesting link to a general discussion of College completion/dropout

I would have to say I come down on the side of BA. It really does help to have a well rounded education, basically as the English would say to be "educated".

Advanced degrees tend to be of value IMO in medicine, law, possibly MBA. Schools and the education system have promoted the push for masters and beyond degrees more for an academic purpose than a job/lifelong learning purpose.

It really does come down to a lot of who you know, and what you have DONE. Not only what you have learned but your ABILITY and willingness to continually learn. IMO lifelong learning is going to continue to be more and more important. Sites and communities where folks of all different backgrounds and experience are willing to "learn and teach" are going to be the key.

Sharyn

I have a BFA in Theatre Design, which I enjoyed because it made me take a lot of art and art history classes which have been very valuable to me even though I am a lighting designer.

I also do a lot of hiring and I have to admit that I look at work experience much more than I look at education. For some positions the other big factor is portfolio and most of the examples I see come from college work. I don't know if I have ever looked at an applicants degree track although I do often look up their school's website to see what kind of program they are coming from.

I agree with both the merits of a broader education and the merits of a more concentrated education. Quite often where the degree matters is back in academia-land. A look at today's Artsearch listed 4 positions for lighting professor, three of which require an MFA and one just a Master's in theatre. There is a growing trend to place more emphasis on professional experience but it's a slowly growing trend.

I have a BA (and an MFA but that's not what we're talking about). Having gone through a BA program and having worked at a BFA program I personally feel that generally you'll get more bang for your buck out of a BA program. Lets be honest right out of the gate from graduation there's a good chance you're not going to work in theatre. I don't remeber the statistics but a high number of people don't work in the field they recieved their degree in. A BA leaves you more well rounded to work in other fields.

As an employer: I don't care which you have. I care about your attitude and how well you work. Period. On my current crew I have one person who's never stepped foot in a college, one with a BA and one who has her MFA from CalArts.

I want someone friendly who gets their job done.

With the market the way it is, a BA will help out more because it will give you more experience in a variety of fields, which makes you more desireable. With a BFA, if it ain't what you been trained to do, forget about the job. If its what you really really wanna specialize in, get a BA, get a focus on it, or get your MFA a little later once you have some real world experience. as much as i love tech work, i know my strength is in directing and theatre lit. However, if i hadn't gotten a BA in college and dabbled in everything, there is no way i could be running this little high school theatre program by myself right now without those skills.
then again, our college had less than 20 theatre majors and we only offered a BA.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back