Backdrops for Meet Me in St. Louis

calcrew

For our basic set design and most scenes, the interior of the Smith family home takes up about half the stage width (almost 20'). The other half (closer to 15') of the stage serves as the exterior (Gilded Age front yard/neighborhood).

Two current possibilities:
1. Backdrop rental/purchase: looking for a good source for MMSL-related scenes:

• Victorian/Gilded Age front yard in suburban St. Louis (15 x 15)
    Ballroom of the era (15 x 30)
    Christmas Eve/snow scene; the "snow people" are being constructed (15 x 15)
    World's Fair??
Note: We have an artist who can personalize the backdrops for MMSL.

2. Scrim and rear projection: This was the original idea, but due to lack of space behind the scrim (8'), we can't find an easy/inexpensive way to expand the width of the projection.

Sources for backdrops (although we've checked a few, like backdrops.us) or other ideas would be appreciated.

Have you checked with Grosh.com? They have tons of backdrops and they aren't too dear.

Charlie

Backdrops will work. They are always a safe option. I just finished a production of Sunday in the Park with George where we used a 32' projection with only 10' of space. I can send you the diagrams if you would like to take a look at that option.

It used a mirror, by the way.

I just finished a production of Sunday in the Park with George where we used a 32' projection with only 10' of space. I can send you the diagrams if you would like to take a look at that option.

Do you mean you rear-projected with only 10' of space between the projector and screen?

If that's the case I'd be quite interested to see diagrams.... That's quite impressive.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back