Backstage consultant in the Control Booth

Greetings all! I am starting a freelance business here in Seattle as a backstage consultant. I have been a professional stagehand for about 25 years and have worked in professional theatres, summer Shakespeare Festivals, as a union stagehand (journeyman with IATSE Local 15 in Seattle), spent 10 years managing and training students in a well-equipped high school performing arts center, and currently work part-time during the academic year at an arts college mentoring student lighting technicians. I have also taken ETC's Ion Trainer training course. I am primarily a lighting tech with a fair amount of stage rigging experience and a smattering of sound and set background. You don't want me in your costume shop :).

I certainly don't know everything, especially when it comes to new, high-end gear, so I will be looking for advice in that area, and hopefully I can bring some useful advice to the table. To quote Red Green: "We're all in this together."

Welcome to the booth. What do you hope to accomplish as a backstage consultant? Are you looking to help community theaters or Houses of Worship? Seems like many of them might not have the budget to hire a consultant. I am interested in how you make a go of it.

Mostly I like to help out with people and organizations. I am not relying on it to make a family living; my wife does that :) I see schools and organizations that do events or have facilities that they are not sure what to do with. Sometimes they just need someone who speaks the language of tech theatre to represent them and look out for their interests, as opposed to vendors and salespeople. Not sure how it will turn out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back